Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet hinges, how long do they typically last?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet hinges, how long do they typically last?

One of mine 17 years old is quite weak. Some of the others seem like they may be getting a little on the wimpy side lately as well. So just how long with regular household use do they typically hold up? I have the ones that keep some tension pulling the doors closed with slight pressure.

hinges

are they spring loaded or offset so the weight of the door closes them?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      are they spring loaded or offset so the weight of the door closes them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet hinge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	87149This is the type of hinge. It's spring loaded.

Comment

Typically they many years, some will fail early due to being the main cabinet used often, or doors that might get pulled on.
        At 17 years you got your monies worth especially as big box stores sell them off the shelf for around $6 a piece.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I've never used the tension type so I really can't comment on them. My mom's house was built in 1964, all the cabinets still have the original hinges and I've never noticed any wear or sagging even though many are used multiple times daily. My last home was built in 1983, we lived in it until 2010 and I never replaced a cabinet hinge, again I don't recall any wear or sagging.

Comment

It depends on your maintenance as well, there are many factors that can decrease the life of the hinges. I have seen many using their cabinets very roughly, cleaning the kitchen cabinets with wet cloth and leaving the hinges wet. If you maintain them properly like proper cleaning and oiling, they will last very long. Mine are 4 years old..

For Kitchen cabinets visit TheRTAstore.com
            Last edited by jannereeves; 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jannereeves View Post
              It depends on your maintenance as well, there are many factors that can decrease the life of the hinges. I have seen many using their cabinets very roughly, cleaning the kitchen cabinets with wet cloth and leaving the hinges wet. If you maintain them properly like proper cleaning and oiling, they will last very long. Mine are 4 years old..
              It's been a while, I'd forgotten about this actually. With these it's the self closer that hold it shut that seems way too weak. It's on a bottom one which is the largest but not used nearly as much as the dishes cabinet ect. It just seems like it doesn't want to stay closed so it flops open a bit like the return spring inside is gone but I don't see any adjustments. Oh well, like Pa Kettle said in those ancient movies, " One of these days I'm gonna fix that ....." I have been more into fixing the basement up so that got wayyyy on the back burner.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =