Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely Not A Fuel Problem!

Have a Monitor 441 that is at least 12 yrs. old. Have never serviced it other than blow out the dust or clean and change the filters. I guess I've been lucky so far. Last night the Burner Status light began flashing so I attempted restarting it about 4-5 times unplugging it twice hoping to reset something. Made 2 attempts this morning with no luck. Removed grill to find fuel wicking thru the gasket at bottom of combustion chamber. There is plenty of fuel so I guess ignition is the culprit. Upon inspection I can tell the mat is shot and there is a ceramic tube broken. I would really appreciate any suggestions before I jump in to this rebuild with both feet. I've read alot of this forum its been very helpful so far as to where I can find Silica Fabric for the mat and some gaskets. The Gasket at the bottom of the combustion chamber is this a dealer item or can I make a substitution with an after market product? I have no service manual to reference any of these parts. If anyone could share a manual I can be reached at seaglejr (at) bellsouth.net. Thanks!
    Attached Files

M441 overhaul

Just looking at the picture the igniter is broken and the igniter guard is bent all over the place. The burner is flooded bad. I would assume you will need a complete overhaul of the combustion chamber. New burner mat, insulating pad, burner ring, and all assorted gaskets. Before buying a burner mat you need to look at the underside of the pot. If the guard is broken off or the bottom is warped or cracked you will need a new pot. If you need a new pot you will get a new burner mat already installed. You don’t normally get an insulating pad with the new pot. Before you start up after the overhaul I would inspect the fuel system (filter and line) for dirt and water. Water can crack the igniter right now. While you are at it clean the heat exchanger. If the combustion motor makes any noise you might as well deal with that also.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. I removed the combustion chamber from body and heat exchanger. The bottom of the pot looks like new,no cracks or distortion. The igniter guard appears to be secure just distorted. Think it could be returned to it's original shape.The tube for fuel was loose and I would have to rebraze it. I think the fuel was leaking from wherethe igniter penetrates. Is the pot crimped on or just a really snug fit? Don't want to force anyting not knowing how it was applied.

Thanks again!

Comment

first M441 overhaul

The Pot is held in by four screws. Flip the chamber upside down and you should be able to see the screws around the top of the pot. You should get a manual from Fordman. With limited knowledge of the unit, you will make more work for yourself. With the manual and the different posts on this site you should be able to do the overhaul yourself. Read any of the posts that contain anything about the M441 and you will be much better informed about your project.

Tom

Comment

It is a little to late to tell you know but it is much easier to remove the burner and heat exchanger all in one piece then you can clean the heat exchanger as well and not take a chance on messing up the gasket between the burner and heat exchanger. The Burner can be a real pain to get back in withe the heat exchanger still standing and you also take a chance on messing up the bottome burner gasket. Make sure you get the ignitor rail straight and away from the ignitor. If it touches it you will soon wind up getting another expensive ignitor.

Comment

For any Monitor brand replacement parts you might need, Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC has the cheapest prices I've found. They can be found by doing a web search for them or they sell on ebay under the user name hhgconline. They don't list Monitor parts on their web site, but they do have a toll free number there and they do have Monitor parts. When I ordered parts from them last winter for my chamber rebuild they sent them by USPS priority mail and I had them in KY in about 2-3 days. I also ordered gasket and mat material from McMaster-Carr, it was sent by UPS and took about a week for delivery.
            Last edited by FordMan59; 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =