Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Patio Cover Caulking Problem

I have a 12' x 20' Aluminum Patio Cover that was installed on my house from a kit 12 years ago. This past year during severe rainy weather, it started to leak between the installed flashing and the grouves in the house exterior GP style paneling. (See circles on picture). I can see where the caulking needs to be redone BUT I can't get to it.. I don't believe the cover would support my weight even if a sheet of plywood were put across the cover to spread the weight load AND I can't reach the places shown with a caulking gun from either the roof line or from the side of the cover.. Any ideas on how to to caulk these several indent areas?? I would be leary of even getting my grandson who weighs less than 100 lbs to do it for fear of what might happen. The use of a cherry picker is out because of location and surrounding houses and scaffolding across 20 ft is all but impossible and costly for such a trivial job... Just fishing for ideas and thoughts...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0959.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	87729
    Last edited by DD716TED; 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM.

I cannot make your picture bigger but ....Normally you don't use caulk in that area, there normally is a roam or rubber gasket that is shaped like the roof that sits in there. As for load bearing weight, your in MN so I'm sure that roof has had its fair share of snow sitting on it, or rain, it should bear the weight of an average man over a sheet of OSB or the like.
    Can you see the area from the underside, maybe you can use foam and put it in from the underside ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I cannot make your picture bigger but ....Normally you don't use caulk in that area, there normally is a roam or rubber gasket that is shaped like the roof that sits in there. As for load bearing weight, your in MN so I'm sure that roof has had its fair share of snow sitting on it, or rain, it should bear the weight of an average man over a sheet of OSB or the like. You might be able to lay an extension ladder across the roof and use that.
      Can you see the area from the underside, maybe you can use foam and put it in from the underside ?

Comment

Cannot Enlarge Picture either..

I don't know what happened, but I cannot view my attached picture either... One picture is worth a 1000 words to
        describe my question..

Comment

Problem of picture fixed...

Now you will be able to see my picture.. thanks

Comment

So that area your needing to caulk is the transition between flashing and siding ?
            From the look of the roofing profile I cannot see why you couldn't lay an extension ladder over the roof and use that to gain safe access to the flashing, after all when someone built that roof they installed the flashing after the roof was installed so they had to be up there.

Comment

Good thought.. Except...

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
              So that area your needing to caulk is the transition between flashing and siding ?
              From the look of the roofing profile I cannot see why you couldn't lay an extension ladder over the roof and use that to gain safe access to the flashing, after all when someone built that roof they installed the flashing after the roof was installed so they had to be up there.
              That is exactly what I first thought of to do.. BUT (and there is always a BUT), when talking to the neighbor who witnessed the installation of the patio cover, the installer was also leary of putting any excessive weight on the cover after installation so as he installed the individual roof panels, he would flash behind his work in sections as he moved across the entire patio. Apparently it worked as 12 years after installtion, the first leak appeared where indicated.

Comment

I was wondering why the flashing was in sections, some of them very short, that makes sense now.
                Okay here's a solution........build a temporary stud wall right under where you want to place a ladder. make sure the wall top plate sits firmly up under the underside of the roof and stud every 16". then place the extension ladder on the roof right over the temporary wall underneath, apply new flashing sealant then remove the temp. wall.....BINGO job done for the cost of a few 2x4's and some screws/nails.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =