Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn Pot Question

I have now seen three burn pots I have taken out that the outer tube is not on the fuel inlet rod but either loose inside the pot or the last one was jamed under the fuel inlet rod?

Do you know what is up with this?

monitor

Inlet rod??? you lost me.
    the fuel inlet is connected to the nozzle part that is brazed to the inner pot. the red silicone gasket [washer] keeps the air inside the pot.

Comment

I am talking about the slip collar that goes over the burn pot fuel inlet rod ( brazed on the burn pot ). the slip collar I thought was to keep the flame off of the fuel rod so carbon would not build up in it. I hate to
      have to rebraze the fuel rod in order to put it on... don't see any other way.

this collar when freed up will move a bit and will come off the fuel rod if the inlet rod is broken from the burn pot.
      Last edited by msearcher; 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Its a tube that goes over the fuel rod, I would say its about 1 1/2" long by 1/4" in diameter. The other two burn pots
        I cut the tubes down the length way and opened it up enough to get over the fuel rod and then had them brazed in a couple of places.

These look to be defective from the factory to me.
        Last edited by msearcher; 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by msearcher View Post
          I am talking about the slip color that goes over the burn pot fuel inlet rod ( brazed on the burn pot ). the slip color I thought was to keep the flame off of the fuel rod so carbon would not build up in it. I hate to
          have to rebraze the fuel rode in order to put it on... don't see any other was.

this color when freed will move a bit and will come off the fuel rod if its broken from the burn pot.

The cover is not brazed to the pot. The cover goes over the fuel inlet. It is only held in place by 4 indentions on each side of the cover that causes it to fight tight on the fuel inlet. The inlet is brazed to the burner pot.

Comment

yes I know the cover is not brazed to the burn fuel inlet, I just tacked it in a couple of places once I slit the cover open. My question is why have I found 3 burn pots with the cover not
            on them but lose inside the burn pot? There was no way they could have come off as the U shaped ignitor area is in place on all three.

has anyone else seen this? they must be defective from the factory

Comment

fuel nozzle insert and cover

The only way that can happen is for someone to remove the nozzle insert. Most of the time the insert is frozen in the nozzle, if it was loose and someone wanted to clean it by removing it, the cover would fall into the pot. When a new pot is installed someone could remove the insert; for what ever reason, and reinstall it. That would allow the cover to drop into the pot. Short of someone removing the insert there is not much of a chance the cover would fall off. The igniter guard will not let the insert slide out. I have never seen a factory new unit with the insert cover off.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                The only way that can happen is for someone to remove the nozzle insert. Most of the time the insert is frozen in the nozzle, if it was loose and someone wanted to clean it by removing it, the cover would fall into the pot. When a new pot is installed someone could remove the insert; for what ever reason, and reinstall it. That would allow the cover to drop into the pot. Short of someone removing the insert there is not much of a chance the cover would fall off. The igniter guard will not let the insert slide out. I have never seen a factory new unit with the insert cover off.

Tom
                Agree totally with Hawkins. I have worked on several thousand over the last 25 years and I have never seen one off the nozzel. Sounds like someome worked on it prior. I have seen them loose but they can not come off due to the ignitor guard.

Comment

thanks everyone, I did take a couple of bad burn pots and tried to remove the fuel rod and they won't come out but agree that would be the only way it could have happened.

I hope to get this one to come out as the burn pot is in very nice condition other than the collar being off.

First time I saw them off was a couple of months ago - but seeing 3 was starting to make me wonder if something is going on with the manufacturer.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =