Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Heater 441 not cycling properly

It was working fine a couple weeks ago. Ran out of fuel, got fuel, ran good for a week. Then it started having cycle problems. Cleaned screen and got a little bit sludge and water. Seemed to run fine for a day. Now it is not cycling properly. Checked screen it was pretty clean still not running right. Starts up no flame in pot runs for a minute or two and then shuts down. Could use some help with this problem. Does anybody have a copy of a service manual they could e-mail to me would be appreciated very much cannot find one anywhere

unless you've worked on monitors in the past the service manual isn't going to really, really help you. it is a flow chart [symptom - what to look for] type manual.
    to begin. start the heater and feel the metal bell where the igniter is located. if it feels warm then the igniter is working.
    next, listen to the fuel pump, see if you can hear a shallow thumping sound. this will start AFTER the purge cycle of about 300 seconds.
    the combustion blower is the first thing to come on and the last thing to shut down.
    all the above being said, see where the burn light go. all on, so the heater should begin to pump fuel and you'll hear a thump as the kero ignites.
    look through the window and see what color flame you have, if any.

Comment

monitor pictures

it may help you to go look at the pictures in the GALLERY, Page 2, 8th panel.

Comment

Originally posted by elmo2000 View Post
        It was working fine a couple weeks ago. Ran out of fuel, got fuel, ran good for a week. Then it started having cycle problems. Cleaned screen and got a little bit sludge and water. Seemed to run fine for a day. Now it is not cycling properly. Checked screen it was pretty clean still not running right. Starts up no flame in pot runs for a minute or two and then shuts down. Could use some help with this problem. Does anybody have a copy of a service manual they could e-mail to me would be appreciated very much cannot find one anywhere
        Send me your email address.

Comment

fuel filter on tank

What about the fuel filter on the tank? Did you change this filter and bled the air off the top?

Tom

Comment

speaking of oil filters...

A few years ago we replaced the fuel tank and fuel line. The guy who installed the new tank added a spin on fuel filter to the already existing cartridge fuel filter. When I changed the cartridge I saw that the old filter (at least 2 years old) was still shockingly clean. Whenever I changed a filter on an oil burner the filter was usually filled with sludge. I know, new tank so there will be less sludge in the filter. Anyway...

I figured I could take the spin-on filter off the system because it really didn't seem to have any purpose. I put everything back together tightly and bled the fuel lines. I also ended up purging air from the fuel reservoir in the heater itself. I put a new burner mat in to replace the non-existent one.

It fired up OK, but now it needs to be reset after it shuts down. So I get ignition, burn, satisfy call for heat and shutdown. The next cycle requires me to push the reset button and cycle the power off then on to get it to light again.

What could be up? Did I make a boo-boo in taking out that spin-on filter? Did it actually serve a purpose beyond keeping the fuel extra extra clean?

Comment

filter

why don't you just remove the filter completely! I have a brand new double walled tank outside. after all there is a stainless steel filter at the heater.
              I have no filter at the tank just a valve [ball valve] and the tank valve [with the fusible link] and the feed line to my heater.
              if you have your tank at a correct level, the flow will naturally be a gravity feed and no kinks in the fuel line, you should have no air in the system. even if you did the bubble will travel to the sump where it will naturally be bled off as there is a few open holes in the pump plate.
              I live in upstate ny where the temperatures swing from 30 degrees to minus 5 in a matter of hours. with so many external fuel filters I knew I was looking for trouble, so I removed all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pavo6503 View Post
                A few years ago we replaced the fuel tank and fuel line. The guy who installed the new tank added a spin on fuel filter to the already existing cartridge fuel filter. When I changed the cartridge I saw that the old filter (at least 2 years old) was still shockingly clean. Whenever I changed a filter on an oil burner the filter was usually filled with sludge. I know, new tank so there will be less sludge in the filter. Anyway...

I figured I could take the spin-on filter off the system because it really didn't seem to have any purpose. I put everything back together tightly and bled the fuel lines. I also ended up purging air from the fuel reservoir in the heater itself. I put a new burner mat in to replace the non-existent one.

It fired up OK, but now it needs to be reset after it shuts down. So I get ignition, burn, satisfy call for heat and shutdown. The next cycle requires me to push the reset button and cycle the power off then on to get it to light again.

What could be up? Did I make a boo-boo in taking out that spin-on filter? Did it actually serve a purpose beyond keeping the fuel extra extra clean?
                Did you happen to check the fuel line going into the burner to see if it has excess carbon build up. Not sure I would have removed the filter. The cartridges are only a couple dollars and not hard to change. For that amount you can afford to change them a couple times a year if needed. If you don't have a filter then all the trash that the filter normally catches goes to you heater and the filter in the heater especially if your tank is not tilted correctly. If your tank is tilted downward away from your cut off valve and you have a filter and the filter is level installed properly you should not have any problems. The water and trash will settle in the low part of your tank and every few years you can drain off any trash in it.

Comment

erratic flame

Running out of fuel should not cause the stove to have continuing problems after you get fuel and bleed the air off the filter. I’m not sure why you want to do away with a filter that is already installed. If the filter is replaced and bled there should be no problem. The last thing you want is water and dirt to get all the way to the stove. The better chance is that the burner mat and ring need replacing. With a mat that has lifted or is missing you will have a very erratic flame. If the ring is warped the flame is also erratic. The burner mat is the heart and sole of a vented heater. If there is anything wrong with the mat you will have problems keeping the heater running. Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =