Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffered Ceiling In Dining Room

I want to do a coffered ceiling in my dining room. I have scraped the popcorn off, smoothed out any mud imperfections and painted the ceiling. This is my plan moving forward…

My ceiling is standard 8’ height so I don’t want it to hang down too low. I am going to create my grid using standard 2X4’s laying on their flat/wide side. I will use a framing gun to attach them perpendicular to the ceiling joists, the ones that will run parallel to the ceiling joists I’m not sure how to attach (pocket screws to the 2X4’s?) I will then wrap the 2X4’s using 1X4 stain grade pine on the bottoms of the 2X4’s (I have a good oil based stain that works really well on pine actually) and use 1X2’s on the sides. I will drop down the sides about an 1/8” past the bottom to give it a cool look. I will then use crown molding on the inside of these boxes.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Should I use a construction adhesive when attaching the 2X4’s to the ceiling and the 1X’s to the 2X4’s?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yep, that's a pretty solid plan, I'd use construction adhesive especially on those studs not nailed into anything. I'd also use toggle bolts just to make sure that there is no sag in the future.
    Ideally I'd cut holes in the ceiling and install 2x4 blocks between the ceiling joists so I had something to nail into, but you have already finished the ceiling.

For inspiration have a look at this coffered ceiling in a friends house.....awesome !!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	87169
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Wow, that is an impressive room!

Comment

I have the ceiling mostly prepped and am going to start laying out the grid. I drew it up in CAD to see and found out that my ceiling light fixture is not in the middle of the room! I came up with two versions, one with the fixture centered between a coffer but the coffers are all different or having all the coffers the same and not having the fixture in the exact middle. What should I do? I cannot move the light fixture, a joist is in the way and the wire doesn't have enough slack (it is 3-way switched with switches on two different walls)

Hopefully you can see the dimensions.

Imageshack - cofferescentered.png

Imageshack - fixturecentered.png
        Attached Files

Comment

I prefer the second option with the centered light, but I like everything centered it looks like it fits.
          You would find that the set out will be easier as well.
          You could always center the light fixture and use a "joist fit electrical box" they are flat (pancake) and have a 1 1/2" wide recess in the back of them so they actually sit over (and around ) the joist, the extension to the wiring would be easy as well simply by adding a junction box in the attic.

Comment

I thought about that, like the one on the right?

Name:	h177-retrofit-electrical-box-021.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	87172

I'll have to measure and see if that joist is exactly at the halfway point, grr more mudding and painting again.

Comment

Yep, that's the one, or if it's not dead center use the standard pancake box screwed of center it's only a light fixture and not heavy.

Comment

Here it is...

Name:	562303_10100180839822679_1154022357_n.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	87175

Comment

That looks great, excellent work.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =