Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 422 troubleshooting

I was out of town when it ran out of fuel. This is a gravity large tank version. Got fuel, and it wouldn't run. I've changed fuel filter, cleaned strainer, cleaned around the basic inside areas. Starts up, I can feel it start to heat up, but the circulation fan never starts and and then the knocking starts. Of course then it all stops, the burn lights flash and it shuts down.
    FYI the combustion fan starts and runs great.
    After reading through several threads I've got some ideas:
    When I'm done writing this I plan to run it through the start up again so I can check the flame.Then I'm going to tear this apart as much as I can and clean! I've looked at all the trouble areas I've been reading about and am shocked at what I'm pulling out of this thing! I'm a new renter and honestly don't think this thing has been cleaned in several years! I'd really appreciate some direction and pointers from those of you with experience!
    Thanks!
    PS Small town in Alaska so please don't advise about calling landlord, it's been over a week and I'm better off on my own.
    After restart:
    1. couldn't see any flame through window at all.
    2. Outside of burn chamber was heating up.
    3. the Circulation still never came on.
    After cleaning and more reading a few things to report:
    1. the flame detective plug was almost completely separated in two pieces.
    2. Every nook and cranny was plugged with years of dust, filth and animal hair.
    3. It appears to be burning more on one side of the chamber more than the others; lots of soot build-up on that side and barely any around the rest.
    4. The flue is clear.
    5. Almost every gasket was disintegrated to shredded pieces.
    Last edited by StikineGirl; 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM. Reason: Just updating with new info

heater

get hold of hawkins, he lives in bethel ak.

Comment

Thanks, I planned on giving him a day or two to see and respond! He seems to be the go to guy up here from all I read over the weekend! Thanks

Comment

M422 trouble

I think you need to bleed the air off the top of the filter. Remove the fuel line with the valve off. Open the valve and let the flow stabilize. It should shoot out almost 6 inches or so. Put the line back on the filter and your stove should start. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
          I think you need to bleed the air off the top of the filter. Remove the fuel line with the valve off. Open the valve and let the flow stabilize. It should shoot out almost 6 inches or so. Put the line back on the filter and your stove should start. Tom
          Thanks, I will do and let you know how it goes!

Comment

A little fuel dripped out from outside fuel line to the valve, but nothing came out the valve opening.
            Thoughts?

Comment

filter

With the line disconnected and the valve open you should see a flow of fuel that shoots out 6 inches or so. If no fuel comes out, the filter must be blocked. How much fuel is in the tank and is the tank vented? You are in rain country. Is there a chance water got into the tank?

Tom
              Last edited by hawkins111; 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

monitor

like hawkins said if you have any condensation in the tank it's likely frozen as is the water/fuel in the filter.
                my advice there would be to purchase a blanket type tank heater for your fuel

Comment

Update: Tank is in an enclosed shed area, no water issues. Temp is at 45 so no freezing issues if there were water! And yes tank is vented.
                  Disconnected fuel line with valve end open and blew into the line, fuel poured out. Reassembled and nothing. Right now son's friend is feeding a line down through through the line to see if something happened along the route.
                  Valve works, cleaned and checked.
                  Any other ideas?
                  Last edited by StikineGirl; 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

fuel filter on tank

Is there a filter on the tank? If not, you are on the right track cleaning the line. If there was a blockage at the valve there is more than likely stuff in the line as well. If there is no filter on the tank I would get one installed yesterday. Keep us posted, Tom

Comment

There is a filter and it's new, housing cleaned out. Fuel flows out just fine from there, but somewhere between there and here it stops. Got a wire 14ft into the line from the filter end and 3ft from inside back out before it just wouldn't move any more. The is under the house and it just got too late to go exploring further.
                      Have a few leads on people in town who may be able to help with an air compressor type fix, so another day...Another something new to learn in this adventure! At least I've learned a lot and in the future will be able to deal with a problem or be able to teach my boys if need be!

Comment

fuel line

are there any 90 degree brass flared elbows in the line? this might be where you are experiencing a blockage as the wire can't negotiate the turn.
                        if you can install a new copper line, try to do it without using elbows, make a turn in direction smoothly. soft drawn copper is easy to bend without kinks.

Comment

fuel line problem

Sounds like you do have a Goldenrod filter and have a new element in it, that’s good. Be aware the fuel flows out the tank and down the sides of the canister, thru the filter into the top of the filter cap and out. Opening the bottom of the canister will only show you that fuel in flowing through the valve and into the canister. The bottom valve on the canister will not bleed the air off the top on the filter. That can only be done by cracking the line or removing it and opening the valve. That being said I do think you have a blockage in the line somewhere. You are on the ring track with the air compressor. That should clear the line. Be very careful around the flame sensor as the wire can be brittle after many years of use. Don’t give up on the outside tank. That little capsule tank is a real pain and can be smelly. Before you get to deep into the stove I would get the fuel problem fixed. Just running out of fuel should not cause the stove to not function right. You mentioned different fuels. The only fuel you should use is #1 home heating oil. In your part of the world diesel or fuel oil might be a heavier product than you want. In most of Alaska home heating oil will be #1, but in South East I would be asking to be sure you don’t get #2. Tom

Comment

All Warm Again!

Thank you to all the advice and suggestions. Cleared the line this afternoon with an air compressor and fuel is flowing, heater has been running beautifully for 5 straight hours now!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =