Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer blowing fuse

I replaced the heating element in my dryer today. After it was replaced I plugged dryer in & it gave me "door open" warning. I checked for loose wires and there was an orange wire disconnected by control panel. After plugging it in I plugged dryer back in and it immediately blew fuse. Now fuse blows every time I plug dryer in...any help?

dryer

you need the schematic drawing of the dryer to see where that orange wire goes.
    did you have to remove the drum to get the element in it?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      you need the schematic drawing of the dryer to see where that orange wire goes.
      did you have to remove the drum to get the element in it?
      Had to pull drum forward to access heating element. Orange wire is a single run wire that goes from thermostat to the button that depresses when door is closed. Could I have fried that wire? Or fried the thermostat?
      thanks.

Comment

orange wire

that could be a possibility because there has to be another wire on that door switch. the switch is a part of the motor control circuit. the door must be closed in order for the motor to start.
        I don't think they'd use 240 for the control circuit but 120 or 24 volts. that's why finding the schematic and tracing out the circuit is so important. it gives you a blueprint of how its wired.
        the heater elements are powered off a relay to turn it on or off.
        the overload and thermal protectors are part of the control circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          that could be a possibility because there has to be another wire on that door switch. the switch is a part of the motor control circuit. the door must be closed in order for the motor to start.
          I don't think they'd use 240 for the control circuit but 120 or 24 volts. that's why finding the schematic and tracing out the circuit is so important. it gives you a blueprint of how its wired.
          the heater elements are powered off a relay to turn it on or off.
          the overload and thermal protectors are part of the control circuit.

Yes, there are 3 wires to the door switch. One for a light and one that runs to control panel...plus the orange wire. How do I test the wires to see what needs to be replaced? Is it a trial and error thing?
          thanks for your help!

Comment

orange wire

three wires. one is common one is motor & element control circuit, the other is the light.
            this is why a control circuit diagram would be most helpful.
            there are several routes the manufacturer could take for wiring.
            all three wires go back to the control board. one is 120 volt common, one goes to the motor relay & element, one goes back to the light through a separate wiring harness.
            one wire comes from the control board with 120 volts on it to the switch. one wire goes directly to the light socket, the other one goes back to the control board.
            but you said there are three wires, so, I'd opt they all go to the control board. see attached diagramClick image for larger version

Name:	tub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	87173

Comment

Working...
            X
            =