Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size for 40 amp breaker

I am attempting to hook up two 18000 btu air conditioners to one breaker. There is an existing 240 outlet with 20 amp breakers and I want to branch off to install another outlet. I realize that I have to install a larger breaker to do this. What size wire must be used to support this installation? The a/c's have a 15 amp draw and are 220v.[?]

meoli5: If one a/c draws 15a on a 220v/20a line, that's OK. You need another identical (or heavier) protected line for the second a/c.

Comment

The existing wire for a 20 amp breaker should be 12 gauge. You CAN NOT install a larger breaker on 12 gauge wire, this is a dangerous fire hazzard. A 20 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire is the largest wire that can be installed for a residential receptacle other than a dryer or range.

You must run a new circuit from your main panel for the new air conditioner as the present 20 amp breaker will not support both units.

Comment

each ac unit needs it's own breaker.

But as to your question, 40 amps = # 8 wire.
        Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
        X
        =