Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog/digital antenna....

We have two tv's that are digital, one ( the main one...) is analog. We have Direct TV as our supplier and do gt the locals through them. We do have storm issues from time to time And there was a request from SWMBO for me to do something about it. So....I do have one of those digital converters as well as an old-but-new analog antenna. My plan is to use the analogue antenna with the converter box. Or....should I go with a digital antenna? If I do that, what happens with my analogue tv? And anyways....that's the difference between a digital antenna and an analogue one? They both look the same to me.

There is no difference. The signal is sent out through the same kind of antenna as before and is received by a standard antenna. I put up an old Winegard to pick up local channels and it works great. As a matter of fact the local antenna farm is about 4 miles away and I can pick them up with a paperclip for an antenna. With the Winegard, I get stations from 50 - 60 miles away.

The trick is, don't forget that the analog TV will not even see the digital signal. It just keeps snowing an all channels.

Comment

Digital/analog.....

As I suspected, Speedbump. They do look the same. I'll hook it up and run the signal through the converter to the analog tv and see what I get. Thanks for the help.

Comment

transmission line

the old analog signals are transferred tothe tuner using a twin lead ribbon cable. the digital signals come via your cable supplier via an RG59/U or 59A/U cable rated at 72 ohms. an analog signal cable is 300 ohms. the tv signal and audio portion is off a vertically polarized antenna.

Comment

Antenna cable....

We don't have cable service available and use DirectTV. We doi get some of our local channels through them. When the weather is really bad we lose all channels. I have a new, but old, analog antenna. I'd like to it. Some of the tv's here are analog, some are digital. My wife would like me to provide the locals on all the tv's. So, I use 72 ohm cable to all the digital tv's and to the converter box. Also use the 72 ohm cable from converter box to all analog tv's. Correct? I'm confident of the cabling, but want to make sure of what cable type to use to most efficient.

Comment

digital/analog

we have direct tv too. one of the sets use a direct tv receiver for a f type connector on a cable
            my other tv uses an hdmi cable for audio and video.
            I suppose you can use the 72ohm cable as long as you don't use too many splitters. each connection will give you a 2 db loss.

Comment

You may want to check the TV channels you want to watch to see if they're VHF or UHF. Many TV statiions switched to UHF when they went digital. You have to check each stations entry on Wikipedia or the FCC database; they probably display their old channel number on your screen.
              If you have to deal with UHF, make sure your rooftop antenna is a combo with a UHF section. Use a balun to match the impedence of the antenna to coax cable; better yet is an at-the-antenna preamp.
              RG11 cable has the lowest loss at UHF, but it's hard to work with; really stiff. RG6 is a good all-around 75 ohm coax.
              To divide the signal between TVs/converter boxes you need a splitter. Each 2-way splitter drops the signal by half or 3 dB plus the internal loss of the splitter. If you end up with a lot of splits, a distribution amplifier is a better choice. It has a built-in amplifier and many outputs. All this stuff is available at your local R. Shack or big box store.

Comment

There are also two kinds of RG-6. Copper and steel. Get the solid copper for best results.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =