Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure relief valve lifting on hot water tank

The relief valve on my hot water tank is lifting a little at 125 degrees F approximately every other day. The relief is rated at 150 psi/ 210 degree F. Do you think the valve is bad? The city claims there's no water pressure surges, I know they've had new pumps installed for the growing community. My neighbor says he doesn't have a problem. The valve is only six years old!!

Joe

Joe

Replace it with a new one, they're not expensive and it'll be a cheap way of knowing the problem. They can fail.

Comment

well considering that 5 years is typically the life span of a water heater, I'd say your 6 year old T&P valve is ready to be retired.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
      <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Nah, the typical lifespan of a water heater is 10-13 years and some last longer with the proper maintenace. Here's a link that'll give directions on replacing the T&P valve, hope this helps:

Comment

Nah,.......
          But it does depend on the water quality and whether or not you have flushed out the heater periodically.
          Also, what is your idea of worn out? When the tank is ruptured and you have a flood? Then 10 years might be accurate.

There's a reason that most water heaters have a 5 year warranty.
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

You're right, water quality plays a big role in how long a heater will last, but flushing the tank on a yearly basis and replacing the anode every 4-5 years goes a long ways in extending the life of the tank. My heater is 10 years old and still works like a charm with no signs of rust or extensive sediment buildup. Preventive maintenance is the key.

Comment

My hot water tank is 10 years old also, havent did a D** thing to it works like a top here Id say its all in what kind of water you have.
              My .02 cents ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
              My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

80 gallon Dayton electric. Well water with much sediment...always run through a 30 micron, then a 5 or 10 micron, then the softener. Flushed at least once a year to keep the 'gold' pellets down. Replaced the lower element twice, thermostat twice. 28 years old.

Comment

I've replaced 400 heaters or so over the past 20 years, both electric and gas.
                  I'd say that the average "melt down" year is 7.
                  I've changed a lot of 10+ year old also (most at that age were past the causing a flood stage).
                  But I also replaced one year old heaters that broke down.

BTW, I never found that any of the "longer life IE: more expensive heaters" actually made a difference.

As was mentiond abouve, maintenance is the key.

Comment

I agree with those recommending to replace it (relief valve). Manufactures are recommending T&P's be changed annually on commercial equipment these days due to it's critical function. On a res heater, I would at least inspect every year. And to add, If it has been activated by heat or pressure, definitely change it. The spring could have been weekend or compromised.

Comment

how does one go about flushing a water heater. Mine is in a closet ( townhouse) 1st floor near garage and washroom.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warzau

how does one go about flushing a water heater. Mine is in a closet ( townhouse) 1st floor near garage and washroom.
                        Perhaps this may explain it [8D]: http://www.hgtv.com/cr/cda/article_p...426913,00.html

Pro Plumber

Comment

Thanks gonna do that this weekend, after installing a ATF and PS coolers on my truck.

Comment

I drained my water heater recently to try and stop the excessive noise I was hearing. It's a pretty easy process just be sure to be paranoid when it comes to the gas (can't be too paranoid IMO).

One thing that messed up my draining was that my shut off valve wouldn't totally shut off. It seems like no matter how hard I cranked it I could hear the water coming into the heater. I did the best I could with a wrench until I finally gave up. I'm not sure but maybe I did something wrong.

The water never did run dirty coming out. The first few faucets I turned on inside the house did spit up some nasty black water so maybe it did work.

Unfortunately I still get some knocking after a long shower although it's not as bad.

Comment

Water Heater Draining Tip: Before refilling the heater, change the plastic drain valve, to a brass valve - 3/4 Female hose bib and short brass nipple. You'll thank yourself in the long run or after you refill the tank and the cheap plastic crappy one leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =