Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New furnace

Hi everyone, I am installing a new furnace and I have noticed in the manual that it requires a 20 amp breaker. The old furnace was using a 15 amp. My issue is that it appears that the receptacle that the washing machine is using seems to be on the same breaker. Should these be separated and put the furnace on its own 20 amp breaker, or is it ok to leave the 15 amp breaker in and see if the new furnace will work with it. If I understand correctly, all that would happen would be that it trips the breaker, where as if I change the breaker to a 20 amp, the washing machine won't be properly protected and could potentially be a fire hazard, or damage it self. Thanks. (As I am sure anyone with electrical skills has noticed, my electrical knowledge isn't that great, lol)

Adding to my above question, is it safe to take the cover off the electrical panel? It looks like its just 4 screws that hold it on, I am just unsure if it is safe to do so. Also, I assume in order to shut power off to the whole house to do work on the panel would require calling the supplier and having them do it on their end? I know, likely more stupid questions, but I figure best not to make assumptions when it comes to this stuff. Thanks.

Comment

furnace

ANY furnace should be on its own dedicated "hard wired" circuit. for a local disconnect use a T rated 20 amp toggle switch.
      no harm would be there if you take off the cover.matter of fact, your line in terminals are inside on a terminal block.

Comment

Figured as much, at least common sense would say so. Apparently the person who lived here before me didn't have too much of it. Alright then, I guess I will separate them and run new wires to the furnace. I am paranoid about fire, so even though this answer involves more work, the peace of mind is worth it, thanks.

Comment

furnace

no need to shut off power to the whole house!
          run a length of 12/2 romex with ground to the furnace. install a local shut off switch in a 4x4x 1 1/2 inch square junction box with a 1/2 inch raised switch cover. use the T rated switch. black line to the upper screw on the switch, load off the bottom screw on the switch. just wirenut the white neutrals together.
          inside the furnace box should be a terminal block marked L1 and L2 and there should be a green colored screw.
          the bare ground goes to the green screw.
          at the panelbox install a 20 amp breaker in any open space.
          black of the romex goes to the breaker screw, the white and bare ground goes to any non used hole on the neutral bar.

Comment

furnace

check out my diagram. maybe you'll get the idea I'm trying to get across.
            romex wiring is ok but around a heating appliance I'd rather install a piece of bx cable.
            mount a junction box on the ceiling joist and continue with romex back to your panelbox. Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	87187Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	87187

Comment

That's good to know. I can't say that I understand everything that you said, but most makes sense. I believe there are 2 spare spots on my panel, so that should all work. I will get started on that soon and may be back to clarify some things. Thanks for the expertise.

Comment

Great, the diagram helps clarify. I posted the last comment just before that came up.

Comment

So I have taken the cover off of the panelbox. I see two empty spaces for the new 20 amp breaker, and I see a strip at the bottom with a bunch of white wires. I understand that the white wire from the romex goes to a spare spot on that strip with all the other white wires, and that the black wire goes to the new breaker. I am just confused now about the ground. Below it says that the bare ground and the white wire both go to the spare spot on that strip at the bottom? It doesn't look like that is what has been done for everything else. I'm also confused with why there are two wires coming off all the other breakers, some of them are red, but if I am reading the below instructions correctly, only the black wire is to be connected to the breaker. Sorry to continue asking dumb questions, but I just want to make sure I get this right.

Comment

I think I have just answered my own dumb question after looking again. I now see that there is a spot on that strip with all the white wires where the grounds are connected. And each breaker has two connection points on it, so I would connect the black wire to either spot on the new breaker and the other would just be a spare, right?

Comment

types of breakers

the breakers with two wires on it [red and black] is a 240 volt breaker. if you'll notice, there is a tie bar on it or it may have a common trip where as there is only one toggle on it.
                      single pole breakers have just one wire on it.
                      your panelbox may have an auxillary ground bar. this is where the bare grounds go, otherwise it is safe to put both the white and bare ground to the neutral bus.

Comment

panelbox

if you can take a picture and send it - this way I can tell what you are talking about.
                        you may have a twin breaker in one or more single pole positions. [you refer to two wires on one breaker]

Comment

I am pretty sure I have figured it out with where the ground goes. One question I have for you is that the stove is on a two pole 40 amp breaker, but it is connected to a 15 amp slot on either side. The tag says 15-40-40-15. The top 15 amp is not currently used. Is it possible to get a breaker that is 40-20 for so that empty slot can be used for the furnace? Please see the pictures for what I am referring to. Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	87188Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	87189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	87190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	87191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	87192

Comment

furnace

thanks for the pictures. that helps a lot.
                            I was right, all of your breakers are twin breakers except for the larger two pole devices.
                            the two middle positions are in fact 40 amp as shown with the black and red #8 wire on the screws.
                            the two 40 amp positions are made to trip together because of that tie-bar between them. if your new furnace is 40, you'll have to go with that configuration.
                            I'll look around to see if I can send you in the right direction for a 20-40 twin breaker. meanwhile check lowes or home depot. you may need to go to a commercial electric supply house.

Comment

Glad the pictures help. Just to clarify, the furnace needs a 20 amp. That's why I was wondering if it would be possible to just change the 40-15 side of the stove breaker where the 15 amp isn't in use with a 40-20 (if there is such a thing) and use the new 20 amp breaker for the furnace. Either way, thanks for putting in the time to help me with this. Also, am I correct in where I intend to place the ground wire? The picture shows at the top corners of that strip where all the white wires are connected looks to me where the grounds are connecting.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =