Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Block Window Mortar

I just installed a glass block window in my downstairs bathroom. I got one of the premade ones at the big box store with a vent in the middle. I am just wondering if I need to paint or put silicone over the mortar on the sides and bottom of the window or if I can just leave it exposed?

glass block

I just checked two sites dealing with glass blocks. if the joints are smoothed using a caulking tool they didn't mention sealing the joints.
    I suppose the same would be true with common bricks. the joints aren't sealed so I guess the blocks would be treated the same. ask pushkins.

Comment

If you used mortar to set the window on all four sides then your good to go unless there is a steel lintel on the top, then you should add a good bead of silicone as the expansion and contraction differences between mortar and steel are dramatic.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, I used mortar on the sides and bottom. On the top I filled about a 1/2" gap with expanding foam. The top of the window is out of sight above the starter strip of my siding so it will not get exposed to UV or water.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =