Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I mount the board? GDO help

I have already mounted my garage good opener but I have a problem mounting the bracket to the door. Here is a picture of my door:

Pic 1
    and 2
    I have an OLD Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP model 139.535000 GDO
    Pic 3:
    and the t-rail, pic 4:

I tried to mount the bracket to a wooden slab and mount the wood to the top of the door; it worked for a while but the

third time it bent the door a little so I had to remove it. pic 5:

I was thinking maybe a long board to support the mount across the door but im not sure, this is my first time installing a

GDO and i'm surprised I made it this far. What should I do next?
    Attached Files

There appears to be only one strut on your door and it is mounted near the top of the second panel. These struts help to keep the door straight when it is hanging from the top rails or when you impose a load on the door like when a door operator is connected. I would suggest that you buy another strut and fasten it to the top of the top panel. That should allow some horizontal reinforcement for the load from the door operator to be spread out over the entire panel. Sometimes verticle reinforcement is also needed, but your door appears to already have that.

I have also noticed that you have mounted the door bracket slightly off center. This could also have some impact on why it bent a little. Most operators are mounted in the center of the door. Try centering the opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Charles View Post
      There appears to be only one strut on your door and it is mounted near the top of the second panel. These struts help to keep the door straight when it is hanging from the top rails or when you impose a load on the door like when a door operator is connected. I would suggest that you buy another strut and fasten it to the top of the top panel. That should allow some horizontal reinforcement for the load from the door operator to be spread out over the entire panel. Sometimes verticle reinforcement is also needed, but your door appears to already have that.

I have also noticed that you have mounted the door bracket slightly off center. This could also have some impact on why it bent a little. Most operators are mounted in the center of the door. Try centering the opener.
      I do have the strut at the top but i have removed it since the door opener wouldnt function correctly. You see in the 4th picture there is a board going right under the opener and that blocks the opener from going past that point since the strut blocks blocks the flexibility of the hindge and it can only be done that way since the hindge must be at the very top of the door.

Comment

The opener MUST be centered on the door and pull the door from the center. Make sure the opener is located center to the door and that the track for the opener is centered. The opener needs to pull the door from the center or it will damage either the opener or the door (most likely both). That metal bracket on the end of the track MUST be attached to the center metal brace on the top of the door.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I saw the fourth picture. When your door is opened, is it above or below the board? Do you have a set of installation instructions for your door?

If it is above, you might try this:
          1. By all means, re-install the strut on the upper section. This will be necessary in order to keep the section from bending.
          2. Perhaps you could lower the strut by a few inches so that you can mount the door bracket above the strut.
          3. If you can accomplish #2, then you can connect only the straight arm section between the trolley and the door. You will not need the offset piece. You may also shorten the arm so that it will be more vertcally oriented when the door is closed.
          4. I also think that the operator should be relocated so that it is centered on the door. You can mount the header bracket (the install instructions on my operator says that the header bracket can be mounted as much as four feet to the left or the right of center), but I agree that it should be centered for an even pull on both sides of the door.

Keep us advised of what you are doing and we will try to steer you in the right direction. Photographs are really helpful.

Charles

Comment

Gdo

the opener needs to be mounted so the rail is about three inches above the door and below the tension springs.
            with the door closed and the opener carriage all the way forward will determine where the j strut is to be mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Charles View Post
              I saw the fourth picture. When your door is opened, is it above or below the board? Do you have a set of installation instructions for your door?

If it is above, you might try this:
              1. By all means, re-install the strut on the upper section. This will be necessary in order to keep the section from bending.
              2. Perhaps you could lower the strut by a few inches so that you can mount the door bracket above the strut.
              3. If you can accomplish #2, then you can connect only the straight arm section between the trolley and the door. You will not need the offset piece. You may also shorten the arm so that it will be more vertcally oriented when the door is closed.
              4. I also think that the operator should be relocated so that it is centered on the door. You can mount the header bracket (the install instructions on my operator says that the header bracket can be mounted as much as four feet to the left or the right of center), but I agree that it should be centered for an even pull on both sides of the door.

Keep us advised of what you are doing and we will try to steer you in the right direction. Photographs are really helpful.

Charles
              Sorry it took so long to reply, when the door is open the door is below the board and yes I do.

Comment

I sure was hoping that you were going to say above! In any event, go ahead and re-install the strut on the upper panel. Raise the door to the fully opened position, and take a photograph so that we can see the relationship between the top of the door, the opener rail, the opener, and the board. We'll go from there. I have attached a photo (I hope) that we can use for defining the parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage Door.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	87196
                Last edited by Lone Star Charles; 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, I would keep the board center, it's pretty crucial as you want to keep the door from having any issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =