Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrier installation, am i getting ripped off?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier installation, am i getting ripped off?

I just had a sears representative leave my house after spending 2 hours with me and my home completing the estimate and deciding on the system. The price range was from 7000 to 13000 dollars for a 13 to 19 seer system. My question is with the system that i decided on, am i getting ripped off? if so i will shop around to see what competitors will charge but otherwise... The main issue is that i dont have a lot of time to invest into researching and shopping for this, i am a senior in college and am taking a heavy load for my last summer before i graduate. Here are the system and house statistics.

1850 sqft house
    7 years old
    in texas so ac is a must...

carrier infinity series 4 ton
    furnace coil part number FE4ANF005T00
    - 19 SEER
    - 2 stage

condenser unit part number 25HNB948A003
    - variable fan speed

thermostat part number SYSTXCCITW01

Given that my house is only 7 years old everything else is good and will not be needing replacement, like ducting etc.

The final cost is going to be 11,200 rounded given that carrier is offering a thousand dollar rebate if installed before the 30th of June.
    Good
    0.00%
    Average
    0.00%
    Bad
    100.00%

Shop Around

That sounds like a lot of money for just a condenser and evaporator/fan replacement. I know it is a Cadillac heat pump, but that sounds high.

19 SEER is a lot unless you plan on staying in the house for a very long time (it will usually take several years for the energy cost savings to pay for the extra efficiency).

Is the house seven years old, or is it the air conditioner that is seven years old? If the house was built to building/energy code standards that were in existence seven years ago, four tons sounds like a lot. What size is the system that you need replaced? Did it do an adequate job of cooling the house?

Getting additional bids is always a good idea.

As always, let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Lone Star Charles; 06-22-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I have another company coming out monday for a second estimate so i will keep you updated on the result of that.

The house is 7 years old and the unit that is installed right now is a carrier but its whatever model the build installed.

I am told that since the unit is electric the coil is a part of the fan unit and if the leak is in that coil the entire unit must be replaced.

I have been doing the calculations on the savings associated with the better unit and you're right, its going to take a while for it to pay off. I am starting to think that i should have selected a cheaper unit.

I wonder though is the price, 11,200 a good install price for the carrier models that i listed? I dont really have a problem paying the extra i just want to make sure that i am not paying too much for what i am getting...

Comment

Working...
      X
      =