Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leaking in through Flower Bed/Planter

Hello,
    My house was built in 1965. 3 years ago my basement sustained heavy water damage after a torrential downpour. I determined that the water was coming in through the brick flower bed/planter at the front of the house. After covering the flower bed with garbage bags held down by bricks, the water has stopped coming in. Three years later the bags are still there and it looks awful (See pics). A friend of mine who does foundation work informed me that the brick wall underneath the mud has deteriorated from moisture over the years. He tried to convince me to tear down the planter and repair the wall. I like the look of the flower bed though and would like to keep it like it is (before the leak).
    My budget is non-existent and I would prefer to repair/bandage this myself. I was thinking of digging it up and placing weeping tile sloped downward with a drain on the side.. ??? Not sure if that would work
    If anyone has suggestions I would really like to hear them. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	87762Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	87763

Weep tile....

Heck yeah! That's what I'd do. Dig the dirt out of that nice flower bed. Brush and thoroughly clean the house brick and cover it with a good sticky tar followed by heavy plastic. Put in a weep tile that would be high enough to drain any water toward the flower bed wall. That is, connect smaller drain tubes to that weep tile with enough slope that it would drain past the flower bed outer wall. Space those tubes maybe eery three or four feet. That would require drilling holes through the brick in those spots. They would hardly be seen if they ended up close enough to the grass in front...

Comment

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Hello!! Nearly 3 years have passed and I still haven't done this... lol But I finally started digging it up today! Just curious, how I would connect smaller drain tubes to the weep tile? Would I have to custom make the drain tubes? Or is it something I could purchase? Any examples would really help. I just want to make sure I do it right Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =