Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying current basment wall paint

A question, potentially for the older folks, regarding identifying a foundation paint product. House was built about 30 years ago. The builder sprayed a very thick paint, setting up anywhere from maybe 1/16 to 1/4 inches thick, on some of the interior foundation walls (poured). The finish is consistently uneven - kind of a pocked look. Now some of it has deteriorated and fallen off due to a plumbing leak. I thought it might have been parging, but I think that needs to be put on with a trowel, and it does not look like a mortar mix. From the overspray, this was definitely sprayed. Any thoughts as to what may have been used?

Lead paint was banned in 1977, this means it was banned from production and use (except in some cases like mirrors and artist paints), this means that while it was illegal to manufacture or use, any paint that was already owned technically was illegal to use as well.
    There are lead paint test kits you can buy from big box stores that are accurate enough to identify lead paint. Lead paint tends to "crocodile" this means as it ages and cracks it gets little cracks all over the surface that are relatively uniform like little rectangles hence the "crocodile look".
    I'm doubting that anyone used lead based paint on concrete walls below grade and it's taken 30 years before any issues turn up, from what you have described it might well be just standard paint or maybe drylock.

What is the look of the paint, is it super smooth with a hard surface or is it rough and textured ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks

I think you are right - probably just some kind of paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000354.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	87209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000353.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	87210 Here are some of pictures, one from a corner (looks like they used some kind of tape like large drywall tape) and where the paint has fallen off the wall. The pictures are sideways.

Comment

From the pictures it sure looks like a textured paint product, drylock looks remarkably like that when 3/4" nap rollers are used. The big piece that has fallen off would suggest to me that no lead is involved as that looks almost like it peeled off.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Okay -thanks. I'll pick some up and see if I can replicate it. Not that it is pretty right now, but it would be nice to keep it from looking like it has been patched.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =