Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat building up between 2 windows

We just finished installing a soundproofing window (an interior metal-frame window that we installed 7" apart from our original double-pane, metal frame thermal window). They do the job, the outside noise is reduced dramatically...

But I am wondering about the heat building up between the windows:

The bedroom we installed the soundproofing window in is facing East on the 7th floor, so we get lots of morning sun... After the window installation I added a "midnight" cellular shade for total darkening of the room. My question is: During the summer, will the air in between the windows become way too hot, to a point of damaging both windows?

Thanks...

It won't damage the windows or the window seals (more importantly) however the air trapped between the two windows will probably condense and cause moisture build up between them.
    What you will have to watch is this moisture running down onto drywall or wood work and causing damage.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Dead air

That's an interesting question. Rightly so, the air will get hot, expand, and build pressure. Depending on how airtight the two windows are, you might be concerned. I think glass is made at extreme temps tho so I wouldn't worry about melting it, just over pressurizing it. The air that doesn't move will get hot tho, and insulate very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamblake33 View Post
        That's an interesting question. Rightly so, the air will get hot, expand, and build pressure. Depending on how airtight the two windows are, you might be concerned. I think glass is made at extreme temps tho so I wouldn't worry about melting it, just over pressurizing it. The air that doesn't move will get hot tho, and insulate very well.
        I doubt that any homeowner is able to seal the installed windows to a level of being able to pressurize between them.
        Hot air does not insulate.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Both windows can open, and we actually do open them every single morning for fresh air, so I see less of an issue with condensation and moisture buildup. If we leave home for more than a day I already plan to leave the outside window slightly open for ventilation (though the opening is at the bottom and heat travels up).

I was concerned about heat because these Summer mornings, when opening the windows at around 8 am, I can feel the air between them being quite hot, and Summer has been relatively mild this year, at least in our area....

...So I guess the answer is — not to worry....

Comment

More of a worry would be your Chicagoan winters where you don't open the windows.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
              More of a worry would be your Chicagoan winters where you don't open the windows.
              Even in the Winter, whenever we can, if it's not terribly cold — we do open the window for some time in the morning.....

Comment

Working...
              X
              =