Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer intermittently not filling tub?

My washer has been exhibiting a strange issue recently. Not all time but alot of the time when you press the Start button to begin to fill the tub it will fill for a few seconds but then stop. Sometimes you have to press Start numerous times just to fill up. My wife claims it only does this when you have Heavy or Extra Heavy selected. I on;ly use Extra Heavy so I'm not certain.

I think it's a GE washer and it's a regular top load style, not one of the fancier types. I can get the exact model # if necessary.

Just wanted too throw this out there to see if anyone had any ideas on what might be the issue?

washer

underneath the canopy top there is a pressure switch with a hose that goes to the bottom of the tub. check to see it isn't cracked or has fallen off the nipples.
    the size of the load doesn't matter it operates off pressure and the fill timer.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to try and find a manual as I have no idea where to look. Does this typically involve removing alot of parts to get to?

Comment

Model number?

it will fill for a few seconds but then stop.
        When it stops filling nothing else occurs until fiddled with? No motor running, no sounds or anything?

I think it's a GE washer and it's a regular top load style, not one of the fancier types. I can get the exact model # if necessary.
        The model number is definitely needed to identify the appliance in question and look up what components it uses which might be responsible for malfunctions.

Originally posted by HayZee518
        there is a pressure switch with a hose that goes to the bottom of the tub. check to see it isn't cracked or has fallen off the nipple
        A problem with the air pressure hose being loose or off would usually result in overfilling. On some GE washer models sediment can build up in the air dome on the side of the tub which might restrict air flow through the tube resulting in under filling.

LINK > How does a washer's water level control work?

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Still having the issue.

it is a GE wbb4500g0ww washer. Can't find a .pdf manual online.

Tonight it it did it while on the medium setting so I'm sure it isn't tied into that part of the cycle.

And the the tub was full of water and suds so the time it messes up can be a second into a cycle or several minutes. I hate to have to buy a new one. Truth be told we got it from best buy and I bought the extended warranty. So over the years the motor and some other parts were replaced. Only main thing left now is the control board. I really can't afford to waste $ but I'm wondering if it's best just to find a refurb cheap somewhere and swap it out.

any advice?
          Last edited by #41; 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Other than a problem with the control, I can't think of anything that might be responsible. Sorry

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The hose is an air tube that connects to an air dome at the bottom of the outer tub. When water enters the tub it exerts an air pressure through the tube to the switch. According to the selected load size, a diaphragm is activated against electric contacts within the switch to alter the condition of the water valve, and start the agitation.

You may have a clogged or pinched air tube. Try blowing through it to see if you can hear the air fo into the tub. You can also visually inspect the area at the bottom of the tub, to see if there is an obstruction.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =