Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor lifter pump kero odor

I have a 12 year old 2400 that works great, but the lifter pump gives off a slight kero smell. It was worse last year, so I gasket cemented the deck gasket, which seemed to help. However, I noticed this summer that there is still some odor. The lifter is right next to our couch, so it's very noticeable. Is this just the nature of the beast? Perhaps I can build an enclosure around it?
    Also, should the 2400 be serviced every year? I had it done a few times, but at $95 a visit, my service guy doen't really do much other than change the filter on the 275 gallon basement tank, and check the appearance of the flame.

fuel lifter

What is the model number of your lifter? Do you have any pictures?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
      What is the model number of your lifter? Do you have any pictures?

Tom
      It's the 1103 lifter pump which came with the stove.

Comment

Monitor Lifter

Doug,

You posted sometime back about this smell problem. I believe you tracked it down to the pump splashing fuel onto the bottom of the cover plate. I have to admit I have never worked on a Monitor Lift pump. My only experience is with Toyo style lift pumps. If the fuel is splashing, it may be attempting to prime itself. Do you have a check valve located close to the fuel tank? The check valve will keep fuel in the line all the way to the lifter so the pump does not have to work so hard to pick up suction. Hope I've been of some help.

Tom

Comment

prime

Does anyone know how to prime one of these older pumps? Do you hold in the prime button? Do you expect a lot of air? My upstairs monitor is not getting enough fuel.
          thanks

Comment

Monitor Service

Originally posted by dougdnh View Post
            I have a 12 year old 2400 that works great, but the lifter pump gives off a slight kero smell. It was worse last year, so I gasket cemented the deck gasket, which seemed to help. However, I noticed this summer that there is still some odor. The lifter is right next to our couch, so it's very noticeable. Is this just the nature of the beast? Perhaps I can build an enclosure around it?
            Also, should the 2400 be serviced every year? I had it done a few times, but at $95 a visit, my service guy doen't really do much other than change the filter on the 275 gallon basement tank, and check the appearance of the flame.
            The only things that I can think of that really need to be done annually is take the front off, clean the dust out, change the filter at the tank, clean the filter inside the heater itself (details in owners manual), check that you still have a nice steady blue flame, that the intake/exhaust tube are clear of any obstructions and be sure the circulation fan is kept clean. You should be able to do all these things yourself in an hour or less and keep the money in your pocket. If your flame is yellow or orange there's a problem and could be an air circulation problem, clogged air holes in the burn pot or bad flame ring. I've had my 422 for 18 years this coming Jan. I always check the circulation fan for cleanliness several times per season including when I first start it up for the winter and although I should do it every year there's been several years I didn't clean the dust from the inside or check the internal filter. I removed the internal filter this year and cleaned it, even though it had been a few years since it had been done it was still pretty clean. I had to rebuild the burn chamber in my 422 in Feb. 2012 at which time I cleaned the heater interior very good. This year I removed the front and cleaned what I could get to easily and blew the dust off the electronic control boards using a can of compressed air for computers. With this type maintenance my 422 lasted 16 years before I had to do anything to it at which time I did the chamber rebuild. Even if you do have problems it's likely that with the help of some of the more knowledgeable people on this forum you could figure out the problem and repair it yourself as I did when I needed a chamber rebuild. I'd never worked on a Monitor heater before, yet I removed the burn chamber, cleaned the old pot, put in a new burn mat, burn ring and gaskets starting mid afternoon and was using the heater that night. Gasket and burn mat materials can be bought at McMaster-Carr for a fraction the cost of original Monitor gaskets and burn mats, you just have to cut them yourself from bulk material. If your heater is still running and you have time to order parts and wait for them to come in the cheapest place I've found for original Monitor parts is Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC they are very quick to get your order sent out by USPS priority mail so you can usually have the parts within 3 days. McMaster-Carr shipped what I ordered from them by UPS and I had my order in about 1 week. I know this is more information than you asked for about the annual service, but thought it might be helpful. Sorry I can't give any advice on the lift pump, I've never even seen one.
            Last edited by FordMan59; 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =