Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washer 3 prong to two prong old house 1940

Clothes Washer Label:
    "Plug into a grounded 3-prong outlet. Do not use with an adapter. Do not use an extension cord. Do not remove the ground prong."

What to do? Ground 3rd to pipe, to ele box, or what should I do?

tks,
    pa

receptacle in old house

by code you can replace a two wire receptacle with a ground fault receptacle to make it a three wire receptacle.
    this way you eliminate an adapter.
    don't worry about the third wire which won't be there.
    the receptacle will measure the incoming amps with the outgoing amps and if everything is ok, it won't trip the gfi.
    a gfi functions by measuring an imbalance between the incoming and exiting.

Comment

tks. that would make things easy. Thats the code in FL/Pinellas county?

p

Comment

LOL.......don't ask what the code is unless you want to have an answer you don't want....lol
        Current code requires a 3 prong outlet consisting of a hot (black) a neutral (white) and a ground (bare copper sometimes green sheathed).
        Sooooo, technically to meet code you would need to run a new circuit that has the above.

Codes are a funny beast, I missed a handrail code today with an inspector on a 1" discrepancy.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

grounded outlet

I guess my next question would be to you and not pushkins.
          does your house have a new service entrance of 100 amps or higher?
          evidentely your house still has some knob and tube wiring, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about a three prong into a two wire receptacle.
          you can replace a two wire receptacle with a gfci receptacle.
          if you wish to, run a #12 solid copper green insulated wire from a water pipe or your service entrance to the box in question. ground out the metal box AND the outlet with the green wire.
          the black will go on the brass screw and the white on the nickel colored screw.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =