X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventilation Gap Plug?

Hello all,

I hope that you are well.

I've got a problem that's part HVAC and part walls: I recently moved into a new apartment out in NYC, and now I face an interesting challenge: a large ventilation gap sits atop the pair of french doors that lead to my bedroom. The dimensions of the gap measure: 60 x 11.5 x 9.25 inches. Here's a picture of the gap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-16 15.17.42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	87802

As the apartment is equipped with room-by-room heating units, I fear this gap will prove problematic come the winter months. I'm looking to plug the hole in a way that provides insulation and, if possible, noise reduction. I should note: I lack any tools more complex than a basic tool set/electric drill, and I'm on a relatively tight budget.

What kind of workarounds would you all recommend? And tips or other advice?

A preemptive thank you for your time and attention!

I would get at least a 4x4 piece of rigid foam ( I think a 4x8 goes for around 26/28 bucks), two pieces of 1x10 (actually it's about 9.5") five feet long pine or poplar and a can of light oak stain. Stain to match the frame. Cut the rigid foam to a thickness that would allow you to make a 'sandwich' of poplar/rigid foam/poplar. Slide it in and it should look pretty good. Make sure to cut the pine or poplar to size the opening first.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
      I would get at least a 4x4 piece of rigid foam ( I think a 4x8 goes for around 26/28 bucks), two pieces of 1x10 (actually it's about 9.5") five feet long pine or poplar and a can of light oak stain. Stain to match the frame. Cut the rigid foam to a thickness that would allow you to make a 'sandwich' of poplar/rigid foam/poplar. Slide it in and it should look pretty good. Make sure to cut the pine or poplar to size the opening first.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =