Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't light pilot on gas fireplace

Hi,
    I have a Majestic uvl24rn gas fireplace and am unable to light the pilot. I turn on the gas, and turn the knob from "Off" to "Pilot" (While depressing it) and I hear gas coming from the pilot area. When I click the igniter, I see a solid blue spark, but nothing catches fire, and I can't get a pilot flame.

The other day I lit the pilot for the first time of the season with no problem, so I find it a bit odd I can't even get a temporary flame. I'm fairly handy with voltmeters and tools, but am new to the gas fireplace repair world.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!
    Josh

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131012_081735.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	87811

pilot

go through your normal sequence of lighting the pilot but instead of using the spark lighter, try using a match.
    hold down the pilot button for about three minutes and let go. if it stays burning then you know the flame detector is working.
    if it goes out then the problem is in the thermocouple or the pilot control of the main valve.

Comment

Just realized the picture I uploaded may not have shown right.

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      go through your normal sequence of lighting the pilot but instead of using the spark lighter, try using a match.
      hold down the pilot button for about three minutes and let go. if it stays burning then you know the flame detector is working.
      if it goes out then the problem is in the thermocouple or the pilot control of the main valve.
      Using a match worked and everything appears to be in working order, thanks! I just assumed that since I was getting a spark with the piezo igniter that it would be some other problem.

Comment

pilot

have you ever seen or used a Mr Heater propane heater?
        One option for the heater is a piezo ignition, or just a match to light.
        In the flame path is a copper bulb. You light the gas and hold a button down for a minute or two. When you release it, the main valve stays open and the heater fires up.
        I took apart that thermocouple to see what's inside. At the flame detect end there's a wire that is welded to the tip inside of the bulb. There is an insulated high temp wire that goes back to the other end that screws into the main valve. The wire there is welded to the center button just below the gland nut. That wire and the copper bulb forms what is called a J-K thermocouple. Two dissimilar metals that when heated generate a small DC current [voltage 750 mv] This bulb connected to a low voltage electromagnet inside the main valve. It's spring loaded to close the main when the voltage is lost.
        In your picture the spark gap is at the end of that porcelain tube. The flame detect is the red wire.
        That flame detector is called a flamerod.
        The flamerod circuitry generates 120 volts across that gap. When there is a flame, the gas between ground and the electrode ionizes and changes its characteristics to produce a DC current. This DC goes to the lockout circuitry of the relay. Loss of the voltsge or flame causes the relay to trip and lockout.

Comment

Picture is not correct, please repost it

Comment

Working...
          X
          =