Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting HRV

I have a Venmar Constructo 1.5 HRV that operates in a one level bungalow and is controlled using a Dehumidistat mounted on the hall wall. Recently when I turn the Dehumidistat dial until it clicks the HRV picks up the signal and attempts to run. Sometimes it will not run with a low humming sound coming from the HRV itself. If I turnoff the Dehumidistat and wait for a bit and turn it on again it usually starts up and runs no issues. My question is the trouble likely with the HRV itself or the wall mounted Dehumidistat. No really much to aid me in the manual. Thanks for any help on this.

Paul

air exchange unit

I went to the constructo site and took a look.
    All the unit is, is a forced air filtration unit. It consists of a fan and two filters.
    unlike a dehumidifier, this is just a squirrel cage fan. there are no components to dehumidify air.
    a humidistat is also called an enthalpy control.
    it consisted of a polyethylene membrane that is sensitive to room or air humidity. it is connected to a switch linkage that opens or closes the switch.
    because it is the prime controller of the unit I would look there first before attacking the fan, which according to the site is a two speed fan.

Comment

Paul,

I have a Venmar Solo 1.5 which is almost the same as your Constructo. I have a humidistat plus 2 20-40-60 minute manual controllers which I have found to be useful for troubleshooting. How many wires going to your humidistat? I think it is just a single-pole switch with 2 wires. Maybe the switch contacts are dirty. I rarely use the humidistat on my unit, preferring to run it manually. See if you can figure out a way to substitute some other switch to turn on the HRV.

Hayzee,

The HRV is a cold-weather dehumidifier. It pumps in outside cold dry air which is warmed up by the outgoing warm moist air in a honeycomb heat exchanger. The moisture in the outgoing air condenses and drains out through a hose in the floor of the unit.

Comment

Paul,

Do you have the installation manual? It's posted on the Venmar web site and has some troubleshooting info. Looks like you can jumper a couple of terminals on the side of the HRV and run it without a controller.

Comment

The dehumidistat that is used is not the original one shown in the manual. It has no name on it, here is a pic of it. Thanks for the detail on the unit and what the dehumidistat does HayZee. Heres a pic if it.http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/...0898b42a_b.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X
          =