Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower seal issues

Hello,

This isn't exactly a plumbing problem, but if the admins think it belongs there, by all means, please move it...

I have a shower in my house that's a plastic insert. It was sectional (3 pieces: top, middle and bottom). It looks like it was a do-it-yourself job by the guy I bought the house from back in 2006.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	87817

Since we bought the house, I've been noticing that the plastic stripping that was used to seal the seams has been slowly but steadily peeling up.

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	87816

The big problem I have with this is as you can make out a little bit in pic 2, can really make out in pic 3: bacteria/mold are growing on the glue:

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	87815

I'm thinking about taking the trim boards down, peeling this plastic stripping off, scrubbing the glue application area clean with some acetone, then sealing new stripping into place. Two problems I see with this approach:

1) I don't know what that plastic stripping is. Is it something that's carried at Lowes/Home-Depot? Note the bead line running down the center of it to sit in the crack.

2) Is it a worthwhile solution or are there better suggestions? I don't know if the previous homeowner misapplied it, or it's just a poorly designed solution. Suggestions?

Putting the house on the market in a few weeks, so I need to get this addressed quickly and CHEAPLY. Thank you for your help.

tub seals

you got the right approach, stripping off the trim strips and dissolving the glue with acetone. be careful the acetone don't drip. it may remove the gloss from the tub surround.
    to re-apply the strips, I'd use a solvent based contact cement, the same stuff used for formica counter tops. apply to both surfaces, let dry then press the strips in place. don't make a boo-boo. that contact cement sticks like gang busters.
    now use a clear silicone sealer at the edges to keep water out of the joints. dampen your finger with "spit" and draw your finger down the silicone line to even it out. the moisture on your finger will keep the sealer from sticking to your finger.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518... If the stipping is a real pain in the patookey to clean up, do you know if Lowes or HD carry it? Good idea on the spitting on your finger. I always forget that when I'm running caulk into a joint...

Comment

Working...
      X
      =