Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser 73 bearings

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever replaced the bearings on a laser 73 blower assembly...i have replaced just the motor several times and had no troubles but i have all these old motors i have saved in my basement that i'd like to do something with...i have ordered replacement bearings from mcmaster-carr and was going to attemp to try to replace them. i have replaced many in other motors, including those in the monitor heaters but have not every really tried them on a laser...i have a small puller and have removed all the old bearings and cleaned up the shafts is there anything else that i should know...do i use the same 609 loctite retaining compound on these as well...just looking for some info before i jump into it...thanks

replacing bearings

most bearing have a .001 interference fit on shafts. while it is possible to just bang them on with a sleeve and a hammer, it'll be much easier if you heat the race with a light bulb or a toaster oven.
    use a small piece of perforated metal with small holes so the bearing doesn't fall through the rack openings on the toaster oven. set it to 450 on the bake cycle.
    leave the bearing(s) in there for about ten minutes, then remove them with a hot mitt and slide them onto the shaft. hold them in place so they don't creep up on the shaft and you'll be good to go!

Comment

Laser 73 blower overhaul

I do not replace the bearings on any Laser heater, 56, 73 Laser 30 or OM23. There is too much of a chance the magnet on the end will break and it is not a part provided. The time spent on the repair drives the over all cost up compared to the retail price of $150.00. A lot of the times the stator is so rusted, it is not worth going any further. To completely overhaul a Laser 73 blower it must be taken apart. You will destroy the case gasket in the process, $25.00. It takes you 1 hour to disassemble and clean the case and about 1 hour to do the motor. If in the worst case you mess up a fan pulling it off the shaft, you now have an additional $35.00. My shop rate is $75.00 an hour. I my case it is not worth telling the costumer you can do the motor and find all the effort costs more than a new motor. In a lot of cases the whole blower assembly is corroded and needs to be replaced all together. As a home owner with only your time involved, it may be worth it to you. Bearings are about $18 to $20.00, gasket $25.00 and if this is all you need, you are on your way. You will gain a lot of experience on your heater and this in itself will be a plus. You will also need to clean the heat exchanger with hot soapy water and let it dry completely. More than likely the burner will need attention as well. A new mat and burner ring will be necessary to complete the job.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by vipmaint70 View Post
        Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever replaced the bearings on a laser 73 blower assembly...i have replaced just the motor several times and had no troubles but i have all these old motors i have saved in my basement that i'd like to do something with...i have ordered replacement bearings from mcmaster-carr and was going to attemp to try to replace them. i have replaced many in other motors, including those in the monitor heaters but have not every really tried them on a laser...i have a small puller and have removed all the old bearings and cleaned up the shafts is there anything else that i should know...do i use the same 609 loctite retaining compound on these as well...just looking for some info before i jump into it...thanks
        I totally agree with Tom, just replaced bearings on a Laser 56 for a friend this past weekend, lots can go wrong replacing bearings on these units. Give me a Monitor Heater any day!!

Comment

laser bearings

what can go wrong with installing bearings on a laser motor? aren't they interference fit? I never took one apart so I don't know.
          I've replaced nine inch bearings on a 4160 three phase 150 horsepower motor and bearings on small polyphase fractional horsepower blowers.

Comment

I just found the bearing retain c clips to close to the armature to get off and had to pry the bearing a ways out first. Just took more time than I wanted to spend removing the bearings. The magnetic piece
            on the shaft needs to be removed and not broken. This again takes a bit more time to get it right.

The shaft size is smaller than the monitor and just harder to work with.

I was under a time crunch to get the bearings out so I could get replacements before the weekend otherwise nothing unusual.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =