Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common parts?

New here, with a question I can't find the answer to by searching. I have a 422 that I've finally given up on after putting way too much money and effort into it. I also have a 2200 and would like to know which parts I could save from the 422 that would be common with, if any, the 2200. Absent that, goodies go up on fleaBay.

common parts M422/M2200

There are very few parts off a M422 that will fit on a M2200. None of the burner parts are the same. None of the circuit boards are the same. The blower and circulating fan motors are different. The fuel pump is different as is the line from the sump to the back of the heater. Depending on the year of the M422 (later models) the fuel sump may be the same. All in all they are two different units.

What is the problem with your M422? They are good heaters that are easy to make work correctly.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
      There are very few parts off a M422 that will fit on a M2200. None of the burner parts are the same. None of the circuit boards are the same. The blower and circulating fan motors are different. The fuel pump is different as is the line from the sump to the back of the heater. Depending on the year of the M422 (later models) the fuel sump may be the same. All in all they are two different units.

What is the problem with your M422? They are good heaters that are easy to make work correctly.

Tom
      Tom, thank you for the prompt reply, very much appreciated. What's wrong with the 422 is a saga that includes my own bumbling, along with a very tired unit that was worked on as a project over the span of two years and kicked around the shop too much. After spending a couple hundred bucks for all the gaskets, ignitor etc., some other electrical problems that I couldn't figure out made me select reject. Also, the fact that parts in the future will be nonexistent plays in. When I think about how much money I've spent on 2 Monitors and 4 Toyo's I could puke. I live in AK, in two locations. I have a good old 70% (so they advertised in the day) forced air oil furnace (used in a shop) that over nearly the same time period has not required one single repair. I paid $600 for it brand new. Once, when moving, it was dropped off the back of a truck to the ground. Thank god that natgas has finally come to the lower Kenai Peninsula! <end rant>

To add something that may be worthwhile: it seems to me that both the Monitor and the Toyo in the smaller units don't like to be run full stroke for long periods of time. It blows them out, loosens the gaskets and warps burner parts. The older Toyo's would rattle you awake after a couple years use from them not being able to hack expansion and contraction.

Comment

nat gas units

If you have natural gas to your house you should try the Rinnai brand. They burn clean and need very little maintenance. Any Toyostove dealer in your area can get you info on Rinnai units. Also Rural Energy Enterprises has a good site that shows all the info you will need.

Tom

Comment

Tom, we get the extension line on the Homer hill next year. I've been looking at the Rinnai as the local lumber yard is now carrying them. Do you have any experience with the Rinnai tankless water heater? My experience with two early propane units was a disaster because of the too cold H2o input. We now have a Toyo on-demand that is a most beautiful thing.

Thanks again for your considerations.

Mark

Comment

Rinnai water heater

I do not have any experience with Rinnai water heaters. I do have a lot of experience with the Toyo OM 148 water heater. If you have one you should keep it even if you get Nat Gas. You get more BTU's out of oil over Nat Gas. The Nat Gas furnaces are very good products however. Very little maintenance compared to oil stoves, both Monitor and Toyo. Search this site for help on your M422. I think you can get it going and get through until Nat Gas shows up.

Tom

Comment

I have Kero Monitors in my house, but if I could get NG I would switch to Rinnais in a heartbeat! I have had Rinnais in the past and they would work for years on end all while being quieter, cleaner and cheaper than the Monitor. Unfortunately, gas doesn't run by my new house.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                I do not have any experience with Rinnai water heaters. I do have a lot of experience with the Toyo OM 148 water heater. If you have one you should keep it even if you get Nat Gas. You get more BTU's out of oil over Nat Gas. The Nat Gas furnaces are very good products however. Very little maintenance compared to oil stoves, both Monitor and Toyo. Search this site for help on your M422. I think you can get it going and get through until Nat Gas shows up.

Tom
                Yesterday I parted her out. While one last go at getting it to work I noticed some bright arcing from a white doodly on the mainboard and the circ fan was on all the time. ADIOS! Off to fleabay with the guts now that I know there is no reason to save for the 2200. Frankly, I like it when you reach the definitive end, one way or the other. I was surprised when I called the local repair outfit and they turned down my offering for free all the metal.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =