Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new burn mat material?

Has anyone tried using a stainless steel mesh for a burn mat? i want to use #2 fuel but i understand it makes the mat lift. experiment or use of #2 fuel information would help. I also have some 441 series gaskets and a burn mat to trade for 2200 burn ring

burn mat

are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
    If you want to experiment, go ahead, but don't make suggestions to people in this forum.
    I'm assuming #2 fuel oil has been tried but I found out it creates too much smoke, even if combusted properly. Liken it to diesel fuel which now is more expensive per gallon than gasoline or #1 kerosene.
    We were able to substitute gasket material from mcmaster-carr industrial which are better than the expensive monitor grade.
    And cheaper too!
    Oh and as far as a fuel goes, why stop at #2 oil? Go with super refined jet fuel!

Comment

do not use #2 fuel oil

Trust me, #2 fuel oil is a no no for Monitor heaters. It has too much sulfur in it to burn cleanly in a vented heater. It has been tried by numerous people by mistake and never works. The problem has nothing to do with the burner mat lifting. It is all about the specific gravity of the fuel being used. Most vented heaters will only burn cleanly with fuel that has a SG of .79 to .82. Fuel that is any heavier than .82 will leave large amounts of soot and carbon.

There are heaters on the market that can use # 2. Toyotomi's Oil Miser 23 heater is approved to use #2. All Toyotomi products are UL listed to use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel as well. Even if you have a heater that is approved to use #2 you still have to be very careful with your fuel, as it can jell at temperatures as high as 15 degrees F. You will also have much more maintenance on any heater using #2 or ULSD.

Tom

Comment

WHY sarcastic?

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
        If you want to experiment, go ahead, but don't make suggestions to people in this forum.
        I'm assuming #2 fuel oil has been tried but I found out it creates too much smoke, even if combusted properly. Liken it to diesel fuel which now is more expensive per gallon than gasoline or #1 kerosene.
        We were able to substitute gasket material from mcmaster-carr industrial which are better than the expensive monitor grade.
        And cheaper too!
        Oh and as far as a fuel goes, why stop at #2 oil? Go with super refined jet fuel!
        I said nothing to any one about using it you should read before you accuse.i was looking for information on said material as it was recommended by a service man and concurred by a second service tech as a possible cure for the mat lifting problem found in the service notice .jet fuel(kerosene) works well

Comment

burn mat

well, your original posting didn't say anything about the other two servicemen
          that being the case go for it!
          sarcasm isn't an issue here.
          what you do to your heater is your business. if it improves the situation, the more power to you.
          if you end up burning down your house, don't say we did it.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =