Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other peoples thoughts

I had a brainstorm or maybe it's a thunderstorm about the flame rings on the 422. They are only welded about 25-30% of the way around the circumference approximately 1/2" weld then approximately 1"-1 1/4" un-welded and are bad to warp between the welds causing contact with the flame rod. I wonder if it would have any effect on the flame if a person welded it solid around the circumference. This should certainly slow down the warping and maybe make the flame rings last longer. I personally don't think it would effect the flame since the dome is an enclosed space on the 422 ring. Thoughts or reasons you think this may be a bad idea?
    Last edited by FordMan59; 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM.

parts

the burner ring is mass produced and uses spot welds. I guess they figured it's good enough. they could probably do better by welding all around the tabs.
    and like you say they would last longer. but they're in the business of supplying parts.
    try tig welding a new burner ring and see what happens.

Comment

M422 burner ring

If you try to weld the seam up be sure to drill a hole in the top of the ring. There has been some limited success using burner mat cement on the seam. This will deflect the flame off the edge of the seam. You still have to drill a hole in the top to relieve the pressure build up due to heating.

Tom

Comment

I just replaced the ring in my 422 about 2 years ago. Unless someone comes up with a reason it wouldn't work I'll probably give it a try next time I have to replace it or the one in my son's 422. I just came up with the idea last night while looking at one of the extra rings I have and thought I'd run it by everyone to see what their thoughts were, whether they thought it was a good idea worth the extra trouble or thought I was crazy. A bead could be run around the whole circumference with a wire welder in about 5 minutes and you could also beef up the spot welds with a bead on the tab edges in a few extra minutes so they didn't break and come loose so easily during expansion and contraction of the heating and cooling process.

Comment

burner ring

it would be interesting to see what engineering study one would come up with showing the heat pattern on the burner ring.
          the thing sits in the center of the combustion pot and is surrounded by holes which produce a blue, turquoise flame.
          even combustion, not even combustion, what heats up first, what causes warping? air flow patterns etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan59 View Post
            I had a brainstorm or maybe it's a thunderstorm about the flame rings on the 422. They are only welded about 25-30% of the way around the circumference approximately 1/2" weld then approximately 1"-1 1/4" un-welded and are bad to warp between the welds causing contact with the flame rod. I wonder if it would have any effect on the flame if a person welded it solid around the circumference. This should certainly slow down the warping and maybe make the flame rings last longer. I personally don't think it would effect the flame since the dome is an enclosed space on the 422 ring. Thoughts or reasons you think this may be a bad idea?
            The one in my house several years ago had a fairly bad ring in it. I took it out beat the places back that had bowed out, welded it in numerous places not a solid seam and it worked until the day I sold it several years later. I have another one I am going to take out and do the same way if it is not too bad.
            They are like any other company in it for the money and if something last forever they would have never sold any parts.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =