Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting a NEMA 14-30 for a washing machine

Hi all,
    we just bought a brand new washing machine and, as we are new to the states, we found out that not all laundry rooms have an NEMA 14-30 plug installed :-(. So I want to run new wires from the breaker box to the laundry room but I've no clue where to connect the two live wires to the receptacle and where to connect ground and neutral. I can only find the information, that the NEMA receptacle has the connectors named X,Y,L and G. But what goes where? Additional question: where should I get the ground from? Is N and Ground usually connected or not?

Thanks!!!!
    Chris

Most washing machines run off of 120 volts. If this washer requires 240 volts power and a 30 amp breaker then I'm assuming you're asking how to run a new circuit for it. If you are, then the following link will give you the full details of what is required and how to connect.(The instructions are for a dryer circuit but would be the same for your washer) You will need to run 10/3 plus ground wire from the breaker panel to the laundry location. The X and Y are for your HOT wire connections, the G is for the Ground, usually the Neutral is connected to the W, not sure what L is but I would assume Neutral then.

You will also require a 4 prong cord for the washer. On this wiring configuration, ground and neutral are kept separate at the receptacle. Ground and neutral are tyed together at your main breaker panel but not at the receptacle. Also, ground and neutral are kept separtate on the washers cord connections. If any of this advice I've given you differs from the manual that came with your washer then please ask.

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Unfortunatly there were no detailed instruction in the manual at all, that's why I started to ask here. And: you're right, it's supposed to be "W" instead of "L".

Comment

You're welcome and good luck with your project

Comment

Working...
        X
        =