Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio heater

I have a propane patio heater that I seldom use, I tried to light it tonight and while depressing the pilot button I can get the pilot light to light, the minute I let go of the button the flame dies out, it doesn't matter how long I hold the button, or how many times i do it the same result of the flame dieing. Anyone have any ideas ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Thermocouple?

Comment

thermocouple ?

I have a REDDY HEATER which is made along the same lines as a patio heater except it doesn't have a long fuel tube to the catalytic surface.
      the thermocouple is a millivolt electric "generator" if you want to call it that. It's composed of an "odd" wire welded internally to the inside of the bulb and then runs down the capillary to the gas valve. At that button which screws into the gas valve, the center button is connected to that long wire. Inside the main valve is a spring loaded "pilot" valve - an electromagnet connected on one end to the press and hold button.
      when you light the fire and press the press to hold button, you are opening the main valve away from its seat allowing gas to go to the burner. the flame impinges upon the thermopile bulb, generating a voltage which is coupled to the main valve electromagnet. if sufficient heat is there, there will be sufficient heat to generate a millivolt signal and will keep the electromagnet valve open. Lose the heat and the spring shuts the valve.
      Go to REDDY HEAT and buy a new thermocouple.
      In a pinch you could use a mercury cell with alligator clips to energize the valve, but you'll have to destroy a thermocouple to get to the wire inside. Negative to the shell, positive to the center button on the battery.

Comment

lol...okay I understood about a third of that ..just enough to make me dangerous.
        The best advise is for me to go to Reedy Heat.

thank ya both !!

Question, where do i find my thermocouple information...is it written on it ?
        Last edited by pushkins; 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

patio heater

try this site. when you find your type of burner, I'm sure you'll find the proper thermocouple.
          Patio Heater Parts & Accessories | WoodlandDirect.com: Residential Patio Heater Parts | Outdoor Patio Heater Parts Accessories | Patio Heaters

Comment

Okay now I've an attitude with this patio heater.
            I found an old head from one in my garage (don't ask me where it came from I have no idea), I swapped thermocoupler , second one I couldn't even get a pilot flame, so I swapped completre heads, still no pilot flame.
            I swapped back to the original head and the original thermocouple and changed out gas bottle, presto, pilot lit and the head lit when asked for, turned it off.... back to cannot light the pilot again.

Soooooo, is it still the thinking that it's a bad thermo coupler, or can the actual main valve (where the thermocouple screws in) go bad ?

I don't want to keep buying parts for a $120 heater, be cheaper to buy a new heater. ( a whole new head is $80, thermocouple $20) But it's making me mad now..lol

Comment

Working...
            X
            =