Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to dampen floor rattle/shaking

We live in a 3rd floor condo. We don't walk around in hiking boots or clogs, but whenever we walk through certain portions of the floor, the entire floor shakes. We've notified our HOA, but they're ignoring us in hopes we'll eventually go away. Is there anything I can do to help with the rattle? Its causing us a great deal of strife with our downstairs neighbor, and I'm getting frustrated that I can't walk down our hallway or walk at a slower than walking speed pace on our treadmill without it sounding like we're dropping bowling balls and the floor whumping like we're in a minor earthquake. I know that eventually we'll have to to rip up the floor and install new bracings, but is there anything we can do in the meantime?

creaking

I'm afraid you'll have to live with it. If there's no cross bracing from top to bottom of a joist then the floor will be away from the joist. also when the condo was built, I hope the contractor installed the joist cup side up, NOT down.
    Cup side up means if the joist bowed upward, then it would tend to stretch out the ends lengthwise because it is supported on the ends.
    Cup side down, means the joist tends to bend downward with any weight on the joist near the middle.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =