Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Stair Railings

Trying to replace my porch railings with PVC. I the install instructions and video, make it all look so easy. the flat parts should be easy as I started on the stairs. Do the precut holes for the square pickets have to routed out so the pickets will lay out plumb? It going to be a lot of routing. Top and bottom rails? I have 13 pickets (x2) 26 holes top rout?

Thanks.

If it's the kits I'm thinking you have (big box store style) you have to buy a separate kit for steps, which will have pre cut holes to accept the palings on the angle.
    I guess if your really inclined you could extend the holes (on one side top and bottom) to accept the angle of the palings, be a lot of work though.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

PVC Stair Railings

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is a "big box" store kit. It said "stair railing kit". The picket cut outs are so "tight" that you can't layout the pickets to be plumb. It is too late as I have gone down this path and rails have been cut. I have 13 pickets on each rail (top an bottom), so I have to rout our 52 holes to get everything to fit. What is the best way to rout the holes? A dremel tool?

Comment

Yes a multi tool of some description (Dremmel or Roto Zip etc...) remember to cut the high side only on the lower rail and the low side only on the upper rail.

Comment

I just remembered something......they sell special plugs that sit inside the square cut out you have that then angle up for stair pickets, this way you only cut the pickets at the desired angle.
          They should be in the same section as the railing packs.

Comment

PVC Stair Railings

Thanks so much for all of your help. Have a happy new year!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =