Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locks

Remove dead bolt lock

I'm stumped on removing a Lori dead bolt lock from a door. This lock has key access from the outside, a knob on the inside. Two screws on the inside plate hold the lock together. When I remove those screws as well as two screws securing the bolt unit to the edge of the door, I would expect that either the outside portion of the lock would fall out, allowing the bolt to be removed; or that the bolt could be removed and then the remaining lock parts could be extracted from the outside of the door.

The fact is that the lock parts appear to consist of the cylinder on the outside and then two laminated metal plates, one on either side of the bolt unit. The bolt unit seems jammed into the lock parts between these two plates. (There is a big difference between the construction of this lock and the new Kwikset lock I want to use as a replacement: the new lock has the bolt installed first, then the inside and outside parts of the lock are joined to it.)

There appear to be screws joining the two laminated plates, but their heads are not visible and the assumption is that perhaps they somehow are under the outside "rose." I have tried drilling out the back ends of these screws in the laminated plate on the inside of the bolt, but can't get the whole thing apart.

Any thoughts on how to free the bolt from the lock components?

Look at the edge of the door. Can you see little holes at 3:00 and
    at 9:00? If so, then through those holes you can access the set screws that prevent you from unscrewing the mortise cylinders. You'll need an extra long allen wrench.

Unscrew the set screws about four turns (not all the way out). Then place the key half way into the cylinder and unscrew the cylinders by turning the partially inserted key counter-clockwise

Does your lock have the holes?

Comment

Working...
    X
    =