Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service manuals Mon 30, MPI 21/422

Hi, newbie here, just picked up 3 monitor/MPI heaters used, and looking to find service manuals, my units are a Kerosun Monitor 30, a MPI 21 and a MPI 422, they all need service/ maintenance, prior to putting into use, and I would like not to go in blind, but be informed,to understand the units operation, though I did get into the 30, as it would not be such loss if it was beyond repair, but it looks like it will be good after basic repairs are made, clean up burner pot, new mat, gaskets, induction fan bearings, clean fuel system, etc, also 422 is missing its internal tank, which I would like to replace, but cannot find. Thanks for your help.

Monitor parts

Get hold of Nelson and Small Distributing. They are the wholesaler for Monitor Products. They can find a dealer near you. If you want to go to North Carolina try Hickory Home and Gardens. Be aware that Monitor has not made parts for M30 in over 20 years and electrical for M21 will be very hard to find. Use the search feature on the site and you will find lots of info on parts and repair for older heaters. Tom

Comment

I still use a M30, they do not use a burner mat. Some gaskets can still be found but I used a rutland stove sealant when I did the bearings last year. One hint, there are three fan blades on the motor, two will only go on one way but one can be 180 off if you don't mark it. They are balanced as a group and I ended up having to pull it apart again to fix it. Also use a drill bit to clean out where the fuel line goes into the burn chamber, mine had so much carbon in it I am surprised it still worked.

Comment

No burner mat?

That's why I need a manual, no mat, mine looked like a coal burner when I disassembled it, so much carbon. Want to do the bearings on the induction fan as I have them, so I will mark them, but being old someone might have done it previously,hope they are correctly oriented, got the gaskets for the pot, locally, NOS. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Never was able to find a manual for mine, but let me know if I can help. Be very careful removing the wire plugs off of the board. They are boards are thin to begin with and the age doesn't make it any better.

Comment

Burner pot

I took out the burner pot and bead blasted it on low pressure, spotless like new, no cracks, ports nice and clean, will start reassembly, new gaskets, etc. The exhaust fan is being stubborn, Kroiled it (penetrating oil) still not free, will let it soak, any more tricks I should know?
            Mick.

Comment

Gasket Material

Originally posted by akaothermick View Post
              I took out the burner pot and bead blasted it on low pressure, spotless like new, no cracks, ports nice and clean, will start reassembly, new gaskets, etc. The exhaust fan is being stubborn, Kroiled it (penetrating oil) still not free, will let it soak, any more tricks I should know?
              Mick.
              There are gasket materials available from McMaster-Carr, much stronger material and less expensive than Monitor gaskets. The product number I used when I rebuilt the burn chamber in my 422 in 2012 was 9323K21. A 16"x10'x1/8" roll costs slightly over $30. if I recall correctly and is enough material to make a lifetime supply of gaskets.
              Last edited by FordMan59; 02-05-2014, 02:07 AM.

Comment

burn mat

the 8799K3 is thinner than the 9323K21 which is 1/8" thick.
                you don't really need something thicker. the mat is just a wick to distribute the kerosene around the bottom for an even burn.

Comment

Maybe a little well placed heat will get that fan set screw loose if the kroil don't work.

Comment

Clarification on Gasket/Burn Mat McMaster-Carr Product Numbers

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                    the 8799K3 is thinner than the 9323K21 which is 1/8" thick.
                    you don't really need something thicker. the mat is just a wick to distribute the kerosene around the bottom for an even burn.
                    I was telling him 9323K21 could be used for gasket material. 8799K3 can be used for burn mats. Two different applications, two different products.
                    Last edited by FordMan59; 02-05-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

That's the next move, but will let it soak for awhile, will use a small butane torch if doesn't free up

Comment

Finished reassembly

Well, finally finished reassembled the Kerosun Monitor 30, was on hold due to work injury, fired it up with a 5 gallon kerosene can and 3/8 flare fitting and copper line, and a temporary exhaust, runs sweet, nice color in the window, bluish red, fans run smooth and kick in as they are supposed to, it is running perfect, real happy it came out so well. just one more question concerning the exhaust it seems to be missing a transition adaptor from the unit to the double wall flue, I think its called the exhaust joint #058064, anyone know where this item can be obtained, done all the usual searches, but no hits, thanks,
                        Mick

Comment

I have got some parts from this place
                          All Around The House in Glen Wild, NY. (845) 434-2400 or 1-800-860-0097
                          or
                          Advance Repair Service
                          Boone, NC
                          (828) 264-1723
                          advancerepairservice@gmail.com

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by akaothermick View Post
                            just one more question concerning the exhaust it seems to be missing a transition adaptor from the unit to the double wall flue, I think its called the exhaust joint #058064, anyone know where this item can be obtained, done all the usual searches, but no hits, thanks,
                            Mick
                            I know this post is close to 3 months old, but if you still need this part do a web search for Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC. They don't have Monitor parts listed on their web site, but they do have them. Their web site has their toll free phone number listed on it and they have been the cheapest place I've been able to find factory replacement Monitor parts.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan59 View Post
                              I know this post is close to 3 months old, but if you still need this part do a web search for Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC. They don't have Monitor parts listed on their web site, but they do have them. Their web site has their toll free phone number listed on it and they have been the cheapest place I've been able to find factory replacement Monitor parts.
                              Thanks, I had a 308 SS tubing fitting made up that is a perfect substitute, the factory part was too expensive, let them collect dust on their shelves if they want stupid money for them, LOL, I had to make 3, 1 for the 30 and 1 each for my 422 and 21, as they were missing also, Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =