Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching Cable TV

I'm getting so tired of the high Cable TV prices. We dont watch tv all that much anyway. So in a few months our contract with Direct TV will be up and at that time we have decided to forgo cable tv. See if we can live without it. I xcan stream Amazon Prime Video, Hulu Plus, Sony Entertainment and others thru the wireless and my high speed broadband connection all which work just fine. However, I will lose all of my local channels, news and the such so have been thinking about adding an antenna to bring those channels in. Just wondering if this is feasible, and what would be the best type of antenna. I have a 52" Samsung HDTV.

Plenty of people already do just that, it's a simple as buying a HD antenna and voila !! Note though that there is no guarantee just how long the stations will continue to offer free local channels via airwaves. I think they by law just have to offer them till 2018 but I'm not positive on that date.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Cable/Satelite TV

I stopped subscribing to satellite TV several years ago and now only receive the free local channels. Many of the networks now have 2-5 free channels of their own. I think I currently get about 30 channels. I am currently using the same roof top outdoor antenna I was using prior to the change over from analog TV to digital TV. There are many different grades of antennas. Depending on your distance from the broadcast station as to which one will serve your purpose. Someone at Radio Shack should be able to help you decide what is needed in your area.

Comment

Radio Shack is probably the best place to go. Depending on where you are located determines what kind of antenna you need. Rural areas need higher gain antennae; suburban areas need more omni-directional antennae unless all the tv towers are in one location. There's a lot of hype for "digital TV antennas", but tv still broadcasts on the same frequencies that were around before digital, although some stations switched to UHF from VHF. If you go to the local stations Wikipedia entries, you can find out the actual transmitter locations & frequencies.
        I bought a ROKU box a few years ago which which works great. I use my 30-year-old Radio Shack VHF/UHF rooftop antenna for the local network stations.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =