Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 422 "fireworks" in burn chamber after rebuild

Hi all,
    Just completed a burn pot & burn ring replacement on my 422. Everything went well thanks to these forums and all the good info here.
    I was missing one gasket at the top of the burn chamber where I had to reuse the old gasket.

It started up fine, burned nicely. A few days later, when the burner kicks up into high heat, there are bright flashes visible in the chamber window. Every 3-6 seconds a very bright flash will light up the window. There's no noise associated with it. When it's not flashing the flame looks OK, maybe a bit yellow. At a lower burn the flame is a nice crisp blue around a glowing red burn ring. Searched the forums, couldn't find similar symptoms.
    Thanks!

Hig flame in pot

What material did you use for the burner mat and burner glue? Could you give us an idea how you glued the mat down? Did you install the burner insulating pad on the bottom of the burner?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
      What material did you use for the burner mat and burner glue? Could you give us an idea how you glued the mat down? Did you install the burner insulating pad on the bottom of the burner?

Tom
      Hi there, thanks for the help.
      I bought everything for the rebuild off of ebay as a kit. The burn mat came pre-glued to the burn pot. Not sure what you mean by burner insulating pad. I installed the boro-silicate gasket where the burn chamber connects to the intake. The burner came as a single piece of metal with three metal tabs that rotated onto three protruding screws inside the burn pot. I didn't see any other mats or gaskets in the burner I removed.

hope that helps.

Comment

burner insulating pad

The burner insulating pad is a gasket material pad on a round metal base directly contacting the bottom of the burner pot. Most new burner pots do not have this pad installed. That can't be said for every new pot, but most do not have it installed. Without the pad the bottom of the burner will warp due to the difference in temp. Tom

Comment

burner pad insulation

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
          The burner insulating pad is a gasket material pad on a round metal base directly contacting the bottom of the burner pot. Most new burner pots do not have this pad installed. That can't be said for every new pot, but most do not have it installed. Without the pad the bottom of the burner will warp due to the difference in temp. Tom

Is this on the inside or outside of the burn pot? there was a raised square pad under the burn mat on the inside of the pot.

Would a lack of this insulating pad be causing the symptoms I described?

n

Comment

M422 burner parts

Item #15 is what I am talking about. Most new pots do not come with the pad. You can see it if you remove the igniter cover. If your old burner is still around I would take a look at it. Yes the insulating pad can cause trouble with the flame. You also need to be sure you are using the correct air damper in the air hose. Too much air will also cause a bright flame on high.

Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

burner pad

Hi there,
              Checked on this today. Removed the ignitor and the burn pot does indeed have a nice new burn pad installed.
              I noticed the gasket around the ignitor wasn't sealing tight due to the one screw clip that holds it in not seating properly on the ignitor. I also noticed some browning on the new gaskets around the ignitor and the ignitor cover. I fixed it so it seals tightly but the bright flashing is still occurring. I'll try to post a video of what it looks like.

Is there a place I can download those parts diagrams for the 422? They're nice!

thank you!

Comment

images and video

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	87260Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	87261

Can't post URL's yet, but the video is on vimeo, go to (no spaces) : vimeo . com/85192023

Comment

air damper

Do you have the standard damper in the air hose????

Tom

Comment

Standard Damper

Part # 81 is very important. More than likely you need the Standard Damper unless you have an extended exhaust pipe.

Tom
                    Attached Files

Comment

damper

I'll check this out.
                      thanks!

Comment

heater performance deteriorating

Checked on the intake damper, it's there. fan is cleaned, fuel filter is cleaned. fuel is being emitted from the copper tube that goes into the burn chamber.
                        symptoms persist, but have gotten worse.
                        any thoughts?
                        thanks!

Comment

M422 flame

You will have to take a picture of the flame. I'm thinking there isn't anything wrong with the flame. On high it may have a different look than Low. There would be a problem if the flame was lazy and tall completely yellow. Can you take a picture of your exhaust system, inside and out.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =