Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good forum that deals with home insurance claim problems?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a good forum that deals with home insurance claim problems?

Is it a good idea to post figures online? This is my first claim and they are very hard to deal with. Thanks.

Not that I am aware of.
    Insurance companies (most likely the assessor) can be difficult when making a claim, you have to remember they make more money NOT paying claims. At the same time there are many submitted claims that simply don't fall into a legitimate claim guideline. For example a leaking shower rotting a sub floor is not a claim but a pin hole in a copper water line is a legitimate claim scenario.

what is the issue ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Insurance

Well this company doesn't seem happy with any contractor's bids. They ask for a bid but then try and knock the price down by quite a bit. They want every price approved or they might not pay. I don't see how they get any contractor's to do any work for them. There is a forum called claimspages or something like that, sponsored by an insurance co so it might be biased. Bye the way, I'm having alot of trouble typing in these posts. Do you know anything about it? Thanks.

Comment

I have to admit as a GC I tend to tread carefully around any job that involves insurance companies direct involvement, not from fear of scrutiny but from the penny pinching many are known to do. I've been told before to "just make it look right" and that line alone makes me mad no matter who says it.
        Generally speaking when I prepare a quote for an insurance company it lists out everything line by line for the work entailed for the repair. I don't negotiate with them over price I list a price that I am willing to do the work for. Any "haggling" down of the price usually means one thing....something is NOT being done to bring the repair back to the original condition.
        Most insurance companies require three estimates for repair work (they can ask for more) as three gives them a more than fair enough spread on the cost of work to be performed, no different than a consumer getting quotes on work.

Now.....just cause you have insurance doesn't mean that the policy covers you to bring the damaged area back to brand new condition, for example after a fire, studs, rafters etc... often will not get replaced by insurance companies if they fall into a "satisfactory level of doing what they are intended to do" category.

You can always call your state's insurance commission and talk with them about your issues, they are there to mediate between insurance companies and the policy holder's. I would think that if you have at least three estimates and the insurance company is still stalling that you have a good case to file a grievance. Sometimes just a mention to your insurance company that your going to call the State Insurance Commission brings about a whole new attitude.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =