Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking 3 years old shingle roof

It happened on the very first worm day when snow started melting. The house is 14 years old and I bought it last year in winter time. I did not have this problem last year. Last fall I inspected the roof and it looked excellent, like a relatively new roof. What worries me is that when I looked in the attic most walls were heavy wet, top to bottom. It was impossible to locate the leak origin. It is very possible there is no any isolation installed between shingles and plywood. But I can do nothing about this.
    I do not know much about roofing, but I have some hands on experience. On my previous house I installed by myself a big sunroof and a power vent. I also maintained it by sealing flashings, cracks, nails heads etc. It was 22 years old and no leaks or wet plywood inside the attic.
    Is it something I can do to fix it?

For clarity I added some pics. The Top picture is low resolution from Google map; just give an overall image of the roof layout. Soffit looks ventilated. There is no ridge vent. All vents are regular, nothing was added.
    Attached Files

Comment

Leaking Roof

There are several things you can check to determine where the leak is coming from. First thing is your gutters. Do you have clogged gutters? If you do than when the snow melts it cannot drain out and will back up under the shingles, possibly refreeze and then melt again inside the attic. Also you may want to check the ridge vents on your roof. These are the vents up top that run the length of the roof. Sometimes they separate and leak. If you give more detail of the kind of roof you have, like the pitch and mayby pictures if you have them, I can give you more advice.

Comment

Good Pictures

O.k, sorry I just saw the pictures you posted. I wonder how many leaves clogged the gutter from that tall tree? Also you may want to check the mounts on that antenna. With strong winds the bolts or screws holding it down could have come loose and leaked. Hope this helps.

Comment

Leak

It would be impossible to tell where your leak is by the pictures, but since you say it's wet top to bottom on the inside that's an indication the leak is up high since water wouldn't run uphill. I'd take a close look at the ridge cap and first few rows of shingles near the top of the roof. Also look for damaged shingles, any tabs that aren't sealed down that rain could have blown underneath or nails that may have backed out and punctured the outer tab of a shingle allowing water to enter. If your visual inspection doesn't find a problem area, I suggest you get a professional roofer to look at it. It can be very hard to determine where a leak is coming from sometimes since the water will get underneath the shingles and sometimes travel several feet before entering the house.

Comment

Where are your bathroom fans vented to and how much insulation is installed in the area where water is present, and did they block the air flow from the soffit with insulation where you are having trouble. If the decking in the attic and rafters are saturated with water its not a roof leak its improper venting or a bath fan is blowing moist air into the attic and its condensing on the cold decking

Comment

Have you checked the gutters?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =