Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl siding

I am having a contractor install vinyl siding and windows on my house. They are going to install 1/2 in. foam board before the siding. I have been told that I should rap the house with tyvek before the siding is installed. To the most I will be only living in this house for 15 to 20 years. It looks like another 1500 to 2000 dollars to have this done. I am thinking it isn't worth the added money to have the tyvex installed because I sure can't see it paying for itself. I know nothing about house repairs.

It really depends on the surface that is being sided over. is it wood siding or another surface ?

Tyvek is recommended as a moisture barrier especially under vinyl siding, the siding will sweat and it is this moisture that you want to protect your house from. Tyvek comes in a roll 9' tall x 100' long (so 900 square feet) @ around $120 so your estimate of $2K seems very high given the small amount of labor required to install it.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I can see I am way off on the cost. I would only need a little more then 1 roll. I have 12 in masonite siding on the house now which will be removed. They will be installing 1/2 in. foam board over a wood board that looks like plywood to me. Seeing that the vinyl siding will be installed over the 1/2 in. foam board which I would think would have a moister barrier on it I wouldn't need the tyvex house rap. This is all new to me so let me know if I am wrong on this. I will also bring this up with the installer. I do find a lot of free advice but I just have to filter out what is good or bad???
      Last edited by reynoldston; 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

No, the Tyvek does a completely different job to the "foam board", the foam board is a basic insulation (perhaps an R value of 1 - 2, very low in insulation terms) what it will be doing is giving the siding a solid backing and reducing the chance of damaged siding due to movement of the vinyl (hot cold expansion contraction and wind).
        Tyvek is a complete wrap system that (if installed correctly) blocks air movement inwards (those cold drafts), blocks water/moisture from getting through but allows air movement outwards (so it actually breathes). It is installed from the soffit all the way down to the foundation and sealed with special tape around all windows, doors or openings and any joints between itself.

ALL new construction must have it installed as a matter of code. It works so well (when installed correctly) that it's installed on any building that's exposed to the elements including storage sheds etc...

It really shouldn't cost you all that much to have your contractor install it (it should have been part of his quote to start with).

Comment

Tyvek Cost

Here's Tyvek for $145 for a 1350 sf roll in my area, so either you have a very large house or the contractor is trying to rob you on installation. TYVEK HomeWrap 9 ft. x 150 ft. Roll Housewrap-D13499991 at The Home Depot My home is 1400 sf floor space and one roll or slightly over would cover the outside of my house.
          Last edited by FordMan59; 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The only thing I know about vinyl siding is that I like the looks of it on a house. This is the very reason I am doing my home work on this job. The contractor gave me a number like 18. I don't know what that means but just making a guess 18 sq.? Just what does 1 sq. cover? I will surly be going over the prices with the contractor because my house is a small ranch house. Thanks for the heads up, now that I know more.

Comment

Area

1 sq. = 100 sf. I agree vinyl siding looks nice on a house, but you have to be careful when mowing the lawn especially around a gravel driveway that you don't throw something into it that may crack the siding. I also suggest you get multiple estimates for the job.
              Last edited by FordMan59; 02-27-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Hi reynoldston,

This is Cathy from DuPont, and just like pushkins stated earlier, Tyvek® is used differently than a foam board; it is designed to keep air and water out while also letting water vapor escape. It’s a good idea to use a weather barrier on top of or behind exterior foam. As for which comes first, that choice is yours. We recommend DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® on top of the foam or Tyvek® DrainWrap™ for enhanced drainage when installed under the foam. Also, DuPont does not recommend taping the foam seams regardless of whether the Tyvek® is installed under or over the foam. Not taping the seams will have very little effect on the foam’s R-value, and because of the low permeability of the foam, the open seams will help the wall breathe. Hope you found this information helpful!

Comment

By going on the forums I found out about Tyvek. Being inexperience I have to rely on the contractor who is doing the job. He will be installing the windows as soon as the weather breaks. Our temperature is close to 0 with 2 foot of snow right now. When he shows up to do the windows I will ask about Tyvex. I know some of the contractors that looked at the job talked about a house rap. They must of been thinking Tyvex. He is a full time carpenter so I sure hope he knows what he is doing.

Comment

house wrap

house wrap does refer to tyvek under the foam directly on the sheathing. you mentioned removeing the masonite siding. this will expose your walls to the sheathing. if your replacement windows have a flange on the casing then, theyll have to remove the siding anyways. the windows fasten to the sheathing through this flange.
                    other replacement windows fasten to the lintel and side studs after they're shimmed into plumb.

Comment

Residential Construction

Originally posted by reynoldston View Post
                      Being inexperience I have to rely on the contractor who is doing the job.
                      That's what many contractors are hoping for. Inexperience without research often allows the contractor to charge whatever they want to charge and never get questioned about it. I've done very little residential construction, but I worked as a carpenter and field engineer for one of the largest general contractors in the world for about 15 years before I became disabled, so I have some knowledge of the construction trade. I did help a friend one time for about a year on residential jobs (mostly replacing roofs) while I was laid off from commercial construction. I built my own garage/storage buildings and installed new roofs on the house and storage buildings where we previously lived. I also installed laminate flooring, paneling and wall paper in that house. One year for Christmas my brother and I purchased laminate flooring for part of mom's house and I installed it for her as part of her Christmas present. Another time a cousin's boyfriend started installing laminate flooring in her house and died of a heart attack with one bedroom to go, I went and finished it for her so she wouldn't have to hire someone. Most of my residential work has been for myself, gift, or charity work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy Science View Post
                        Hi reynoldston,

This is Cathy from DuPont, and just like pushkins stated earlier, Tyvek® is used differently than a foam board; it is designed to keep air and water out while also letting water vapor escape. It’s a good idea to use a weather barrier on top of or behind exterior foam. As for which comes first, that choice is yours. We recommend DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® on top of the foam or Tyvek® DrainWrap™ for enhanced drainage when installed under the foam. Also, DuPont does not recommend taping the foam seams regardless of whether the Tyvek® is installed under or over the foam. Not taping the seams will have very little effect on the foam’s R-value, and because of the low permeability of the foam, the open seams will help the wall breathe. Hope you found this information helpful!
                        The reason why DuPont say don't tape the "foam" is to allo the moisture out from the house, if the foam joints are taped then all the moisture will be trapped between the two and will cause other issues. The reason I point this out is that many contractors will tape foam sheets because that is what the directions on most of these sheets calls for, but they fail to take into consideration the use of a house wrap product.

I'm really not sure why your contractor is using foam panels anyway, "Fan Fold" is a much more common product under vinyl siding.

Comment

They told me the windows are inserts what ever that means.

Comment

I'm really not sure why your contractor is using foam panels anyway, "Fan Fold" is a much more common product under vinyl siding.
                            • What the contractor is telling me and what he uses may be different. He doesn't want to confuse me by using brand names so he just said foam panels. I will also ask about Fan Fold??

Comment

"Insert windows" are replacement windows, these are fitted to an existing window frame. New build windows are fitted where the contractor has the ability to nail the window to the house framing (as it's built or during major renovation work).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =