Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar panels on metal roof

I was all set for a company to put solar PV panels on my roof. I had told the sales guy it was a metal roof, and he indicated that should not be a problem. But it was determined that they cannot install to my roof at all, even though their company has installed panels to other metal roofs in the past.

The problem is that those metal roofs are the more common ones with a smooth surface and solid color. Mine has metal shingles designed to closely resemble traditional tar shingles. So their surface is not as smooth.

The installers say they don't have a (I think the word they used was 'bolt' or something) that would properly attach the panel leg to the beam on the inside of the roof. Something about it would slip due to the nonsmooth shingle surface and that rainwater would leak through.

So do you know what kind of bolt they should look for? They claim they've asked around and don't know anyone who has this. The roofing company is Erie Construction of Toledo, OH. The solar company is Missouri Sun Solar. I'm sorry I don’t know the brand name of the roof.
Working...
X
=