Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor

I have a Sears air compressor with an ongoing problem. Seems every year I have to change out a pipe nipple that breaks at the threads right where the nipple goes into the tank. The other end goes into the pressure switch and unloader. I have tried just about everything, heavy wall pipe, a coiled copper tubing, a coiled 1/4 inch pipe section, it keeps breaking right at the tank.
    Suggestions??

synflex truck brake line {plastic}

Comment

air compressor

won't work, too short a distance. besides the pipe gets hot!

Comment

can you take a picture of the compressor? just curious,I guess most air brake trucks have a line that is made up with special plastic line with a stainless braid cover about 3' long straight off compressor and attachs to copper and then to wet tank........sounds like this is not for your problem but somebody will have been down your road and know a way out for you...

Comment

air compressor

This is not a truck air compressor. It is a 40 gallon vertical tank with a compressor & motor on top.
          a tube feeds from the cylinder over and down the side to a check valve and unloader tubing.
          the pressure switch is mounted above a port in the tank.
          1/4 inch pipe nipples connect the port to the pressure switch and takeoff to the outside manifold.
          the pressure switch is supported on the nipple and so it vibrates a little.
          But it vibrates just enough to break the threads inside the port.
          I tried using a plastic air line with two compression fittings but the plastic line melts.

Comment

I have an 80 gal compressor on top, sears...1989 model...why I was asking,i know from aircraft, stainless fitting and lines are used.. if your pulley wasn't a poly groove, changing the size slightly to get it out of that vibration zone would work wonders also........I know you will come up with something if it bothers you enough, I'm ready for spring

Comment

One way I can think of is to move the pressure switch to the motor. Use a 1/2" electrical nipple and two or four jam nuts to mount it. Then go from the switch to the tap in the tank with 1/4" copper tubing. That will take the load of the switch off the tank.

Comment

Try to get a sch 80 stainless nipple, or better would be a Swagelock brand stainless nipple as they are forged and 3000 psi, might hold up better,

Comment

Working...
                X
                =