Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanized Fence gate on a slope & Size of gate posts

I bought a single gate 42 x 48 from Lowes.

I am going to install it in the corner at the top of our property that slopes back down. I dug the hole today. The 1 5/8" diameter galvanized fence post is 41" above ground, and so far the post I am installing sits in the new hole at 43" above ground. The corner post is not absolutely perpendicular.

I have a number of questons.

1. Is there a problem using ( reusing ) a 1 5/8" diameter galvanized for the gate?
    2. does it matter if the gate opens downhill into the property or opens uphill into the property?
    3. If I install the new post, and it set it with concrete to match the angle etc. of the exiisting post, will this work.
    4. Are there any rules of thumb for installing a gate on a slight slope?

Most harware seems to point to using the 2 3/8 ( or whatever ) larger for the gate entrance....is this the only way to do it....

I am putting this gate in to be able to get the canoe in and out without having to heave it on the fence.
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Originally posted by vdotmatrix View Post
      I bought a single gate 42 x 48 from Lowes.

I am going to install it in the corner at the top of our property that slopes back down. I dug the hole today. The 1 5/8" diameter galvanized fence post is 41" above ground, and so far the post I am installing sits in the new hole at 43" above ground. The corner post is not absolutely perpendicular.

I have a number of questons.

1. Is there a problem using ( reusing ) a 1 5/8" diameter galvanized for the gate? NO
      2. does it matter if the gate opens downhill into the property or opens uphill into the property? Should swing open on the downhill side, otherwise you'll have to dig into the uphill to allow it to open fully.
      3. If I install the new post, as it set it with concrete, to match the angle etc. of the existing post will this work. Yes
      4. Are there any rules of thumb for installing a gate on a slight slope?

Most harware seems to point to using the 2 3/8 ( or whatever ) larger for the gate entrance....is this the only way to do it....

I am putting this gate in to be able to get the canoe in and out without having to heave it on the fence.

see above answers
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

pushkins is right

Comment

Working...
        X
        =