Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found possible mold during home inspection, owner says its not mold

Hello all,

I am a prospective homebuyer and found a house I really liked. I was as far as had an agreed price and signed contract, but during the home inspection found what appeared to be mold in the attic (along with a few other minor issues). Being that the house was already at the high end of my price range, I ended up killing the contract.

A few months have passed and the home owner hired a contractor to address and fix everything that came up during my home inspection. He examined the discoloration in the attic and claims that it is not mold.

The contractor says that the discoloration is the result of frost occasionally appearing in the attic and melting. He claims that the attic area is meant to be as cold as the outdoors, as the insulation is in the attic floor rafters. He also said its not unusual for frost to form on the underside of the plywood under certain conditions.

I guess this also raises the question of if what the contractor says is true, does this mean there's an insulation issue with the attic if condensation is building up there? For what its worth, the woman who lived there previously was constantly running an unvented standalone propane fireplace in the winter. I'm wondering if this could cause the condensation?

Below are a couple of pictures I have from my home inspection. They are small size and not so great quality, so I apologize in advance but its all I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	attic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	87857
    Click image for larger version

Name:	attic2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	87858

I realize its probably very difficult to tell, but do you think there could be any truth to what this contractor is saying? I've asked a few people and posted this on another message board and got wildly different answers, most people saying they wouldn't let it kill the deal, but had someone saying the entire roof down to the framing needs to be replaced. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Read more:

I might be wrong, but I don't think it is mold either. I've got experience with mold in my basement and it doesn't seem like the once I had. Of course, it was black mold and there are different kinds and I've seen them too, but it is really different. I think you should go on with the deal, as you've liked the property.
    Who did the inspection for you? Was it just you, when you go for such a deal, you should have a professional with you.
    Anyways will show it to one of my friends who is working as basement waterproofing and mold control with Doctor Rooter, Toronto, and let's see what he says, just for a confirmation.

Comment

Ronald, that post is 5 months old.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =