Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need shower handle to fit existing valve stem

I put in a new shower and threw away the old single handle thinking it would be easy to replace with a new one. However, it has been impossible for me to find a handle that fits. It uses Tuscany valve stem cartridge 931 T350. Menards sells he cartridge but evidently no handles that work for it. Can someone please point me to where I can find a compatible handle for this thing? The shower is already in so I don't want to cut out the whole valve and solder in a new one. Thanks.

valve

what's the end of the stem look like? Is it diamond shaped or knurled round one?

Comment

valve handle

I checked two places - pfizer replacement parts and they don't even list your cartridge part number. nearest is a 940-780Y

Comment

Its a knurled round one. Smaller than most others I've seen. I got a universal handle kit and all the inserts were too big for it. If you want a better look at it, this site won't let me post the link but if you look up the model number I supplied or search "washerless cartridge" on menards.com it will come up as the first search result the top of the cartridge is green and red.

Comment

Originally posted by jjoy42 View Post
          Its a knurled round one. Smaller than most others I've seen. I got a universal handle kit and all the inserts were too big for it. If you want a better look at it, this site won't let me post the link but if you look up the model number I supplied or search "washerless cartridge" on menards.com it will come up as the first search result the top of the cartridge is green and red.
          Danco makes a universal chrome lever that fits the Tuscany 931 T350. It's Danco part # 80023 and it's nomenclature is "Lever Diverter Handle". If your shower valve has an existing chrome plastic or metal spin-off cap that goes over the valve stem to cover the end of the valve cartridge, it has to be removed because it is only for cosmetic use with a clear acrylic handle and will interfere with movement of the Danco lever. To install the Danco lever, position the included metal adapter onto the valve stem and tighten the twin allen head screws to secure it in place and then position one of the two white plastic adapters into the recessed end of the handle. Slide the handle onto the metal adapter to check for proper fit and handle movement. The handle is supposed to point downward to the 6 o'clock position to turn off the water and is rotated counterclockwise to turn on the water... if you find the handle is not properly oriented, reposition the metal adapter on the valve stem as needed to properly mate up with the white plastic adapter inside the handle. Also, if you find that you don't have enough hot water as the handle reaches the 1 or 2 o'clock position, you can reposition the red plastic stop on the end of the valve to allow additional rotation of the handle (the red plastic stop ring has gear-like teeth and is slipped off towards the end of the valve stem to allow for repositioning). The assorted valve stem screws that are included with the Danco handle won't fit the Tuscany 931 T350's valve stem... if you don't have the original valve stem screw, it is pan head metric size M4 x 0.7 (approx. 1-1/2" long) and Menards or any decent hardware store carries them for approx. 50 cents each. Oddly I've had less luck finding them at Lowes and Home Depot. When installing the valve stem screw, you can prevent it from loosening over time by applying a small amount of blue Loctite to the threads (DO NOT use red Loctite as it is intended for permanently securing a fastener). When tightening the screw, just snug it down lightly because over-tightening can cause the handle to bind and make it difficult to rotate. The new Danco handle should include a black plastic or rubber insert to cover the head of the valve stem screw in the handle... apply a light coat of clear silicone adhesive when installing to help secure it in place. If there is no insert to cover the screw, you can apply a dab of clear adhesive or clear nail polish over the exposed screw head to protect it from corrosion.
          Last edited by Jammer; 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =