Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switch loop circuit

Hi i am having a issue with my 15 amp switch loop light circuit and wanted to know whick tests to perform on it.I had the breaker kick a time ot two after using a 3light, light fixture with the halogen 50 watt bulbs-they have the 2 connectors at bottom .popped circuit breaker on its own when i turned it on again later..
    I did test the black wire at switch to light and its ok but wasnt sure about the hot(white wire/marked) since i didnt find the circuit it is coming in at.. and didnt get a 0 reading-on ohms test at last light to that switch
    I had done some other work on the same light circuit before that switch and wasnt sure if that may be a (last circuit i installed a dimmer and i used a regular bulb-not cfl).I also tested switch and its ok.
    Any suggestions on where to start or what connections to test?
    Or a pic of a full circuit-switch loop wiring- from light to light to light ,etc on 14/2 15 amp
    Last edited by hidden 1; 05-11-2014, 05:06 PM.

light circuit

if your light circuit worked with an incandescent lamp, then there's no reason why it should trip the breaker using a halogen lamp unless the lamp itself is faulty.
    Please elaborate on your problem. Have you rewired the circuit for any reason?

Comment

The switch,new, popped breaker on its own when turning on..but didnt before.Its a different fixture so i have not used it in on position a lot just a few times here and there.
      I did a test on switch and it was ok.
      the other light control across room was not connected but thats the switch looped light.

Most all of my wiring on this light circuit is at the fixture and the single 14/2 wire goes to switches and its not loaded with a lot on the circuit..

Im thinking it may be in the light but unsure.
      Are these track light type fixtures common for problems(kind with those 2 end twist tips 50 watt)?
      Thanks for any information.
      Last edited by hidden 1; 05-12-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

switch loops

switch loops at which you just have a two wire at the switch location shouldn't be a problem. 14 ga or 12 ga its all the same.
        at your fixture box [junction box] you will have a pair of wires [hot and neutral] your switch loop [ black and white pair] and your fixture wires [ also black and white]
        on your switch loop, the white wire should be identified with a piece of black tape indicating it is being used as part of a switch [not a neutral]
        the white from the hot line goes to the fixture white. the hot black goes to the white/black tape wire. the black return goes to the fixture wire [black]

track lighting has two conductors embedded in a plastic channel inside and near the top of the channel. the neutral is in its own channel midway between the top and bottom of the track. the ground makes its connection to the bottom [top] of the channel metal via a spring clip.
        all channel parts should be meant to be used with its own channel manufacturer - westinghouse, emerson, nutone etc.

does the halogen use a transformer?

Comment

no transformer on it

Comment

switch loops

at your ceiling box disconnect all loads. place a wirenut on the black wire only, this will be the return from the switch.
            turn on the switch and see if the breaker trips.
            if it does there is a problem in the cable coming from the switch box to the ceiling box. might be a staple or a screw through it, grounding out the circuit through the ground wire.
            if it don't trip the breaker, in the ceiling box disconnect the switch loop completely and try the breaker. it should not trip because there's nothing connected to the hot and neutral.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =