Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• property boundries

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this question but I will give it a shot. I am thinking about building an addition to my existing garage and am trying to figure out zoning requirments for the permit. One issue that I seem to be perplexed by is how is total area or acreage of your property determined. I am not talking about how to calculate the area but what constitutes the boundries of the property esspecially road frontage. My Property is surrounded on three sides by road. Is the total area determined from the center of the roads, from the edge of the roads or after right of way from the road where lot lines would be used. Many of the zoneing laws use the total property area but fail to clarify what constitutes total area. Does this vary by community or is total area determined in a overall standard way?

Thanks to anybody ahead of time that can clarify this.
    Last edited by MRCLUNKER; 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM.

property

go to your clerk's office or town planner and ask for a copy of your property boundaries.
    it will list so many feet from a centerpoint of a road in a north or north-easterly or westerly direction. or it may indicate so many feet from a concrete monument or "iron pipe"
    when you build a fence the place where the fence goes is usually one foot onto your property with the good side facing outwardly.

Comment

Your property will have usually 4 iron rods driven into the ground at the 4 corners of the property, the size between these rods is the area of your property, thus if you have for example 25,000 square feet and your allowed to build on 80% then you can utilize up to 20,000 square feet. These rods are NEVER on public right of way like roads, sidewalks etc... there will be a "set back" right of way that dictates where the frontage rods are, for example in my neighborhood the frontage rods are 30' from the center of the road, so my yard starts exactly 30' from the center of the road.

The distance from the road is absolutely immaterial in relation to the square footage of the property BUT you should be aware of the "set backs" on building on your property again for example in my neighborhood, the building set backs are 20' from property lines for an attached building and 10' for an unattached building, so no matter how much % I'm allowed to build on I must remain inside those setbacks. To simplify for an attached building (in my neighborhood) say property lines are 150' x 150' = 22,500 square feet assuming setbacks of 20' on sides and 60' front (front setbacks are critical) this gives me 7,700 sq. feet to build on attached or 10,400 unattached.

Like Hayzee mentioned you will need to either read for deed, covenant, HOA rules or contact your local planning department to ascertain your specific setbacks. The common thought is that people own all the way up to the road/asphalt, this is NEVER the case, your expected to maintain it (mowing etc...) but it is public right of way and at any time without notice work can be done on this section. Commonly referred to as public right of way.

Hope this helps.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pushkins
        I will give you a specific ordinance as an example; It states if your property is less than 1/2 acre then you can have a total accessory building space of 400sf, if greater than a 1/2 acre but less than 1 acre you can have a total accessory building space upto 896sf. If your property is 1 acre or more you can have a total accessory buildings total upto 1200sf. my property lot lines are 100 X 132 which is a little under 1/3 acre however measuring to the edge of the road is about 1/2 acre and to the center of the road is about .6 acres. Would you say that they are using the lot line area or total area here for determining what amount of square foot area one can build on the property? I think I know the answer but just want to clarify.
        Last edited by MRCLUNKER; 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Always, without question they are referring to "YOUR" property. in other words what you physically own and that will be what land is between the (4 usually) iron pegs. Always remember you do not own the area between your property and the road, it is easement that you are expected to maintain but never ever own, so this area is NEVER counted as your square footage.
          Soooooo if your property (that you pay taxes on) is 100 x 132 = .30 of an acre which means the largest out building / accessory building you can build is 400 sq. feet.
          BUT remember, this is for an out building/accessory building, if you were to attach it to your existing house in any way (breezeway etc...) then you may well have more options size wise. By attaching it becomes part of the main dwelling and this depending on your ordinances may allow you a larger build. You will need to check your "setbacks" for any attached or detached build, often the setbacks for attached are much greater than detached.
          Last edited by pushkins; 06-19-2014, 06:14 PM.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pushkins & Hayzee518
            That pretty much clears it up. I guess the next step is to talk to the clerks office and find out what I can or can't build. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
            X
            =