Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Siding/Boards on Chimney Loose

Hi All,

I have vertical wood panels on my home. The wood panels that cover my chimney are very loose and warped. The chimney is the type of chimney where the inside lining is some sort of drywall covered with metal.

To secure the wood panels, would it be OK to use stainless steel screws and screw through the boards all the way into the inner metal lining of the inside of the chimney? Otherwise, I think I will need to somehow buy wood, and have it shaped to match the rest of the wood panels.

Thanks for any replies,
    Yodi

Typically your chimney would be framed with wood with a metal flue (chimney) running up the middle of the framed area, the metal flue doesn't make contact with the wood framing at any point at all, nor will any drywall.
    You should be able to screw the panels (sounds like T1-11) at the very least on both sides, You could use exterior rated screws, that would be a cheaper option plus stainless screws are typically fairly weak.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the good info. I have a box of "Grip Rite" screws, and on the box they recommend their "PrimeGuard Plus" stainless steel fasteners for outdoor work. Are there better screws to use than stainless steel, for this type of work?

Comment

Ideally you should use a screw with a slightly bigger head, but if you already have them then they will still do the job, just be very careful driving them in they have a tendency to bend fairly easily.
        I do use stainless steel but it's very job and location related, most often I use Grip rite Prime Guard exterior screws with Torx heads.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so much for the good info. I'll probably get a box of the Grip rite prime guard exterior screws. I am a novice, and I appreciate your good tips.

Comment

Great post with great information. At least now I know which screws I should get for mine now.

Home Siding

Comment

Working...
            X
            =