Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool L610422 won't heat

This dryer starts out ok but than the fire goes out after 2 minutes or so. Does it need a new thermocouple? I have the heater part out and I believe the part number is 279311. Thank you. Bob

Originally posted by ba_50 View Post
    This dryer starts out ok but than the fire goes out after 2 minutes or so. Does it need a new thermocouple? I have the heater part out and I believe the part number is 279311. Thank you. Bob
    Goofed already.

The model is LG5701xm.

Comment

What is the ignitor doing?

Originally posted by ba_50
      This dryer starts out ok but than the fire goes out after 2 minutes or so. Does it need a new thermocouple?
      Your dryer model uses an electronic ignition system. It has no thermocouple.

You can read up on common gas dryer heating systems at the following link. The information should pertain to the system used on your dryer model as well.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Generic Gas Dryer

I have the heater part out and I believe the part number is 279311.
      Part # 279311 is the ignitor. If the burner ever ignites the ignitor is likely NOT the problem.

Before we can suggest possible causes we need additional observations, namely:

What is the ignitor doing when the fire goes out?

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It glowed brightly to start with. When I came back it wasn't working and no flame either.

Comment

It glowed brightly to start with. When I came back it wasn't working and no flame either.
          This only happened once and now it if off permanently? Or does the condition repeat?

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It repeats.

With the wires disconnected, the igniter showed continuity to infinity.
            The upper thermostat and the 3 others below it had the same reading, so it looks like they are all working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by ba_50 View Post
              It repeats.

With the wires disconnected, the igniter showed continuity to infinity.
              The upper thermostat and the 3 others below it had the same reading, so it looks like they are all working properly.
              The sensor goes to infinity too.

Comment

How long is the ignitor off for?

If the ignitor stops glowing for minutes or more *without a flame present*, it is the control system shutting down power to the burner assembly (which includes the ignitor). That power stoppage could be one of the thermostats, the heat circuit of the timer or a slim chance of the heater circuit of the motor switch.

If the dryer was overheating (like could be caused by a plugged, partially plugged or poor venting or faulty blower fan, among other causes) the thermostat may be detecting the overheat condition and shutting off the burner as a safety measure.

The thermostats would have to be tested at the exact time of the failure. If left to cool they would eventually reset and test positive for continuity at that time rather than showing an open circuit like they would if they were responsible for the stoppage in power.

If the ignitor cycles on and off quickly (less than a minute or two) without a flame present, a problem at the burner assembly is likely rather than in the heat control system.

JMO

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I did some testing:
                  The burner stayed on for 3:15. It took about 4-5 minutes to test the sensor, thermostats, and igniter. They all had continuity (infinity)
                  After re-starting it went for 2 minutes, and then 1 1/2, and 1 minute 10 seconds.

Thanks.

Comment

What is the IGNITOR doing?

I didn't ask how long the burner is ON for, I asked how long is the ignitor is OFF for when the burner goes out?

If the dryer is calling for heat either the burner should be aflame or the ignitor should be glowing. We need to know that to try to determine what is responsible for the stoppage.

Comment

When first starting, the igniter glows brightly, then bends to the left. It then starts dimming and after about 10-15 seconds goes black.

Comment

The ignitor should not bend at all. If it is, it is likely defective and needs to be replaced.

If the symptoms persist after replacing the ignitor, report back the symptoms again, including how log the ignitor is OFF for when the burner is not in flame.

Dan O.
                        Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
                          The ignitor should not bend at all. If it is, it is likely defective and needs to be replaced.

If the symptoms persist after replacing the ignitor, report back the symptoms again, including how log the ignitor is OFF for when the burner is not in flame.

Dan O.
                          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Dan,

The burner comes back on in about 1 minute & 20 seconds the first few times. After 30 minutes it took about 3 minutes. Now I think I understand how this thing works and what to look for. I was mistaken about the igniter bending. When it went from red to black, it was rather deceptive at that angle, so it must be ok.
                          It is getting hard to get down that low anyhow.

I ran two loads through it and it worked fine. The duct going outside got pulled back and when I opened the outside vent to pull it out, it was full of lint. Maybe that affected the thermostats? Otherwise I don't know what made it work again.

We are having better luck with dryers than my old washing machines. Thanks Bob

Comment

Just a note, you still have not answered the question "What is the ignitor doing?" that was asked at least 4 times! If you had we could have directed you to the most likely cause or area(s) needing further scrutiny with the least amount of fuss.

We're glad to try to help but If you want assistance from others you need to follow the instructions given by them and answer the questions posed or you just end up wasting everyone's time.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

The ignitor glows for about 3-10 seconds, the fire starts and the igniter goes black. I stated that it #11. In #13 I corrected the part about the ignitor bending. Guess that wasn't what you wanted. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =