Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 10/3 UF to power my shed

Hello all!

Here is my dilemna: I have a shed. It is about 150ft away from my garage. There is a 10-3 w/ground UF wire run underground. There is one going to shed, and one coming back. Previous owners had a horse in there. I would like to hook it up to power so I can simply have a 110v in the shed to run lights, maybe an outlet. Do I need to hook the wiring up to 220v?

Backstory:

When I decided to turn my garage into a machine shop, I rewired the garage. The previous wiring was circa 1950, so it was a mess; everything was connected to everything, some wiring was recent, some was the old cloth braided, starting to fray. Was a fire waiting to happen. I stripped EVERYTHING out. The 10/3 UF wire was tied into a rather nasty junction box that kinda sorta went back to the main breaker in the house. Not needing the shed for any particular use, I undid everything and left the dead wiring (to shed) coiled up at the wall.
    Had the power company run new service right to the garage, put in a 100 amp 20 slot breaker box. Wired up the shop all nice and proper.
    Now, I would like to get power to the shed. I've got chicks that I'm growing up and they could really use a heatlamp. Really don't want to run an extension cord out that far.

In the shed, one wire goes up to a large box mounted up high (I've not opened it up yet) and then it goes to the 110v wall outlets, interior lights etc. One wire comes out the box and back underground and back to garage. IIRC, it ended up going to a wall outlet so they could turn on exterior shed lights from the garage.

Is there anyway I can tap into my 110v and make this work?

Just wanted to note:
    I was planning on removing most of the wiring in the shed and just going with one ceiling light and a couple wall outlets. I "could" run new appropriate wiring. But since this is already there, was wondering if I could make it work safely.

Comment

Opened up the box near the ceiling of the shed (did I mention this was a large shed?) It's simply a junction box. The UF was split off into 3 separate feeds. One for exterior lights (2 floods), one for 2 interior halogen lights, and one for the wall outlets, of which there are 4 of.

Comment

If I'm reading this right your house and garage are two separate services. Whicj is unusual because a dwelling by rights should have only one set of feeders.
        If the 10/3 is coming off a main breaker, you're already in violation looking for a fire. There's no protection for the 10/3. If it were fed off a 30 amp two pole breaker you would be ok.
        Here's the other clincher. Your one way distance is 150 feet. Most people think that 150 feet is the total distance but in actuality the distance is 150 feet out and 150 feet returning making the total distance 300 feet.
        Code says you can't have a voltage drop greater than 3% per 100 feet. So what I'd do is calculate 9% of the total load at the end. Say the voltage out there is 240 than 9% times 240 equals your voltage drop. That's a drop of 21 volts over all 240 minus 21 equals 219 volts. Not permissible. If you increase your wire size that will allow for the increase in distance for the load supplied and reduce the voltage drop.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =